Tom BellAll plans by this Coach
Before purchasing any of our plans, we recommend completing this questionnaire, which will allow us to advise on which plan(s) are best suited to you and your training goals, and how our plans can be combined to create a progressive and well-rounded training program.
This particular plan aims to improve your anaerobic power, which is the maximum rate at which you can produce energy via anaerobic pathways.
This plan is specifically designed for endurance disciplines requiring a moderately well developed anaerobic power. Examples of such disciplines include intermittent disciplines such as cyclocross, criterium racing, and cross-country MTB, as well as many types of road racing. With these disciplines, we generally don’t want anaerobic power to be overly developed, as this can come at the expense of other important fitness parameters, such as endurance and lactate threshold power. Thus, this plan includes just 4-weeks of focussed anaerobic power development, which should improve anaerobic power to a moderate extent.
Anaerobic power depends on your ability to recruit ‘Type IIx’ muscle fibres (which are most anaerobically adapted) and your ability to produce large amounts of energy quickly through anaerobic pathways; most notably via ‘anaerobic glycolysis'. This plan targets both of these factors using scientifically validated methods . The plan also includes an appropriate amount of low-intensity training to facilitate recovery between sessions, and to help maintain aerobic fitness, which plays a major role in your ability to sustain efforts with a high anaerobic energy contribution for extended periods of time .
The plan includes a comprehensive PDF user guide providing information on how to implement the workouts correctly and how to adapt the plan if necessary.
Who’s it for?
This plan has been built specifically for MODERATE TO WELL TRAINED cyclists of ANY ENDURANCE DISCIPLINE seeking to boost their anaerobic power in advance of racing.
- Built using TrainingPeaks’ Workout Builder
- All workouts exportable to .FIT, .ZWO, .ERG formats (to be used with Zwift, TrainerRoad etc)
- Polarised Intensity Distribution
- Variety of interval workouts
- All workouts designed for power meter users
- Progressive TSS load for sustained improvement throughout 4-week period
- Each workout’s purpose and key adaptations clearly communicated
 Bangsbo, J., Mohr, M., Poulsen, A., Perez-Gomez, J., & Krustrup, P. (2006). Training and testing the elite athlete. J Exerc Sci Fit, 4(1), 1-14.
 Seiler, Stephen, and Espen Tønnessen. "Intervals, thresholds, and long slow distance: the role of intensity and duration in endurance training." Sportscience 13.13 (2009): 32-53.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?