ULTRA ENDURANCE Development (Power-Based) - 8 Weeks - Lower Volume (~9-12 Hrs/Week)
Tom BellAll plans by this Coach
Before purchasing any of our plans, we recommend completing this questionnaire, which will allow us to advise on which plan(s) are best suited to you and your training goals, and how our plans can be combined to create a progressive and well-rounded training program.
This plan aims to improve your endurance, which is the ability to sustain low to moderate power outputs (below the lactate threshold) for extended periods of time.
Endurance depends on several factors , including:
- the muscles’ resistance to damage,
- the ability to use fats for fuel, will enables limited glycogen fuel stores to be conserved, and
- the aerobic capacity of ‘Type IIa’ muscle fibres, which begin to be recruited in the latter stages of riding, as the primarily recruited ‘Type I’ fibres begin to fatigue.
This plan targets all three of these factors, and should result in an improvement in your ‘aerobic threshold’ or ‘LT1’ (for more on this, see here).
The plan includes a mixture of interval sessions that progress gradually through the plan and which are grounded in scientific theory and evidence (scientific support for interval designs is referenced within the plan, where relevant). This plan also prioritises lower-intensity training which is essential for long-term and sustainable improvements in aerobic fitness and endurance .
The plan includes a comprehensive PDF user guide providing information on how to implement the workouts correctly and how to adapt the plan if necessary.
Who’s it for?
This plan has been built specifically for MODERATE TO WELL TRAINED cyclists of ANY DISCIPLINE seeking to build their endurance.
- Built using TrainingPeaks’ Workout Builder
- All workouts exportable to .FIT, .ZWO, .ERG formats (to be used with Zwift, TrainerRoad etc)
- Pyramidal Intensity Distribution
- Variety of interval workouts
- All workouts designed for power meter users
- Progressive TSS load for sustained improvement throughout 8-week period
- Each workout’s purpose and key adaptations clearly communicated
 Abbiss, C. R., & Laursen, P. B. (2005). Models to explain fatigue during prolonged endurance cycling. Sports medicine, 35(10), 865-898.
 Seiler, Stephen, and Espen Tønnessen. "Intervals, thresholds, and long slow distance: the role of intensity and duration in endurance training." Sportscience 13.13 (2009): 32-53.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|10:43 hrs||6:00 hrs|
Day Off x2
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||10:43 hrs||6:00 hrs|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?