VO2MAX Development (Power-Based) - 8 Weeks - Lower Volume (~7-9 Hrs/Week)
Tom BellAll plans by this Coach
Before purchasing any of our plans, we recommend completing this questionnaire, which will allow us to advise on which plan(s) are best suited to you and your training goals, and how our plans can be combined to create a progressive and well-rounded training program.
This plan aims to improve your VO2max (aka ‘aerobic capacity’), which is the maximal rate at which oxygen can be take on and processed by the working muscles. VO2max is generally considered as a prerequisite for high-level performance across a range of cycling disciplines, as it sets the ceiling on the maximal rate you can generate energy aerobically without producing fatiguing byproducts.
VO2max is influenced both by 'central' and 'peripheral' factors. Central factors include diffusion of oxygen from the lungs to the blood, and the amount of blood pumped by the heart ('cardiac output'). Peripheral factors include the density of capillaries around muscles, the number and size of mitochondria within the muscles, and the activity of aerobic enzymes .
This plan targets both central and peripheral factors through the inclusion of long, low-intensity rides (targeting peripheral adaptations) and high-intensity interval sessions that should see you accumulating time close to your VO2max (predominantly targeting central adaptations).
The plan includes a mixture of interval sessions that progress gradually through the plan and which are shown scientifically and through experience to improve VO2max (scientific support for interval designs is referenced within the plan, where relevant). This plan also prioritises lower-intensity training which is essential for long-term and sustainable improvements in aerobic fitness .
The plan includes a comprehensive PDF user guide providing information on how to implement the workouts correctly and how to adapt the plan if necessary.
Who’s it for?
This plan has been built specifically for MODERATE TO WELL TRAINED cyclists of ANY DISCIPLINE seeking to build their VO2max.
- Built using TrainingPeaks’ Workout Builder
- All workouts exportable to .FIT, .ZWO, .ERG formats (to be used with Zwift, TrainerRoad etc)
- Polarised Intensity Distribution
- Large variety of interval workouts
- All workouts designed for power meter users
- Progressive TSS load for sustained improvement throughout 8-week period
- Each workout’s purpose and key adaptations clearly communicated
 Bassett, D. R., & Howley, E. T. (2000). Limiting factors for maximum oxygen uptake and determinants of endurance performance. Medicine and science in sports and exercise, 32(1), 70-84.
 Seiler, Stephen, and Espen Tønnessen. "Intervals, thresholds, and long slow distance: the role of intensity and duration in endurance training." Sportscience 13.13 (2009): 32-53.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x2
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?