Customisable Anaerobic Development Plan (Power-Based): 4 Weeks; ~7-12 Hrs/W
Tom BellAll plans by this Coach
This plan is designed to develop your anaerobic capacity (i.e. the maximal rate at which you can produce energy through anaerobic systems). In practice, this should result in improved power output over durations lasting around ~10-180 seconds, and is important training for most endurance disciplines that require short efforts above the lactate threshold, such as when climbing short hills, or accelerating out of corners.
Anaerobic capacity responds relatively quickly to training. Furthermore, excessive anaerobic training can compromise aerobic fitness. For these reasons, this plan is kept relatively short to provide an appropriate dose of anaerobic training for those focussing on predominantly aerobic disciplines.
The plan includes a mixture of interval sessions shown scientifically to improve anaerobic capacity [e.g. 1, 2]. Alongside these sessions, we also include an appropriate volume of low-intensity training, which helps facilitate recovery between high-intensity sessions and maintain aerobic fitness [1, 3].
The plan includes a comprehensive PDF user guide, which includes information on how the plan can be customised, including how to increase/decrease the weekly training time, and how to get the most from your training sessions.
Who's it for?
This plan is specifically designed as an anaerobic booster for disciplines that are predominantly aerobic (i.e. lasting ~40-minutes or more). For these disciplines, we'd recommend preceding this plan with a longer period of aerobic development. Please get in contact if you'd like advice on a suitable plan.
This anaerobic booster plan is particularly suitable for inclusion immediately before a taper period for an important competition or event.
This plan involves very high-intensity training (including maximal efforts), and you will need some experience with interval training above your FTP before completing this plan.
- Built using TrainingPeaks’ Workout Builder
- All workouts exportable to .FIT, .ZWO, .ERG formats (to be used with Zwift, TrainerRoad etc.)
- User guide to help customise training plan and ensure you know how to complete the training sessions optimally
- Polarised intensity distribution
- Variety of interval workouts
- All workouts designed for power meter users
- Each workout’s purpose and key adaptations clearly communicated, including references to relevant scientific sources
 Bangsbo, J., Mohr, M., Poulsen, A., Perez-Gomez, J., & Krustrup, P. (2006). Training and testing the elite athlete. J Exerc Sci Fit, 4(1), 1-14.
 Creer, A. R., Ricard, M. D., Conlee, R. K., Hoyt, G. L., & Parcell, A. C. (2004). Neural, metabolic, and performance adaptations to four weeks of high intensity sprint-interval training in trained cyclists. International journal of sports medicine, 25(2), 92-98.
 Bishop, D. J., Granata, C., & Eynon, N. (2014). Can we optimise the exercise training prescription to maximise improvements in mitochondria function and content?. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA)-General Subjects, 1840(4), 1266-1275. Some relationship to lactate clearance?
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|9:30 hrs||3:00 hrs|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||9:30 hrs||3:00 hrs|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?