Over 50 and Crushing It! Training for Speed, Power, and Endurance in 2021
Paul OzierAll plans by this Coach
Over 50? Yes You Can Be Faster Than Ever!
ZWIFT® is a great platform to use with this plan.
This plan is designed for the age 50+ road cyclist. The goal of this plan is to develop your skills and abilities to maintain a competitive race fitness, even as we age. This plan gives you just enough of a variety to keep your strengths sharp, and build and improve your limiters. The plan covers all facets of cycling fitness that will benefit criterium, road racing, time trialing, and even cyclocross and mtb racing. If you do not race, but are looking for a way to get stronger and faster to handle your club rides, a century or a Gran Fondo, this plan will work well to give you new levels of fitness and speed.
The plan is built by USA Cycling Level 1 Coach and Cat II road cyclist Paul Ozier. Paul is an Elite Coach at Peaks Coaching Group. Paul has over 25 years of racing experience and more than 15 years as a cycling coach. Paul is a full time Elite Coach at Peaks Coaching Group. Athletes coached by Paul have excelled to new levels, set personal bests, won races for their first time, and taken home Silver and Gold medals in state championships.
This is a 12 week plan. Average Weekly Training Hours 7h:55m. Longest week is 11h:05m. For most of us over 50, we need more rest and recovery so we can nail the intense days with finesse and quality. Unfortunately, we are not in our 20s anymore. We need to have intensity to keep that edge, but also enough recovery so we are feeling fresh and chomping at the bit so we can have those stellar workouts that really tell you that you nailed it and benefited.
We recommend you have the following abilities before beginning this plan:
Cycling 2+ hours
Solid base fitness *
* If you are lacking that base fitness another plan I offer is the 'Titanium Foundation' series. There are three 4 week blocks or a consolidated 12 week plan to get you into shape with an ultra-strong foundation.
Workout Files. Daily workouts Auto Sync to Zwift. You can connect your TrainingPeaks account to Zwift so that your daily training plan workouts inside TrainingPeaks automatically sync to Zwift each day. Complete the workout and Zwift automatically syncs to TrainingPeaks with the resulting data. Workout Builder files also can be used on ERG Video, Trainer Road and most other training software. Workout Builder .FIT files can be loaded on your Garmin, Wahoo, etc. to use as a workout while riding outdoors.
Benefits of our Training Plan:
- All plans have a 100% Money Back Guarantee
- Training plans are reusable; tweak your FTP settings and train again at your new found level
- Email access to the coach
- We build plans for athletes of all abilities and experience
Zwift is a registered trademark of Zwift, Inc.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|7:55 hrs||3:00 hrs|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||7:55 hrs||3:00 hrs|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?