This 12 week plan is aimed at road cyclists aged 18 to 45 who typically have a minimum of 1 to 2 years experience of recreational riding (approximately 6 to 10 hours per week) and wish to follow a structured plan to help prepare for entry level road racing.
The plan is intended to take you into the first race of the season and consists of 3 blocks of training seperated by recovery weeks. A Hill climb fitness test is used to assess starting fitness and calculate heart rate training zones, and also repeated during week 9 to monitor progress.
Prior to commencing this plan you should have 1 to 2 months of endurance riding totaling at least 500 miles.Weekly training volumes vary from 6 to 11 hours over a range of 4 to 6 training days per week. A variety of structured sessions are provided and aim to improve sprint, endurance, and threshold performance necessary for road racing.
Training sessions are prescribed based on heart rate zones and therefore a heart rate monitor is essential when following this plan. A spreadsheet is attached for the calculation of heart rate zones.
Heart Rate Zones (based on % maximum heart rate)
Level 1 = 0 to 64%
Lower Level 2 = 65% to 78%
Upper Level 2 = 79% to 88%
Level 3 = 89% to 94%
Level 4 = 95% to 100%
This is plan provides an ideal stepping stone into the tough training sessions required for successful road racing. Enjoy!
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x2
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.