Training maturity: Intermediate (has completed structured training for 12-18 months)
Volume: 10-12 hours per week, 5-6 days per week
Weekday workout duration: 120 minutes max
Weekend workout duration: 210 minutes max
This training plan is designed to build on your base fitness to progressively increase your speed and power. It is suitable for both power and heart rate users, and the bike workouts are fully structured and compatible with smart trainers and many head units. The midweek sessions are also scripted to be used as custom workouts on Zwift. The volume of training is between 10-12 hours per week, and If you’re already familiar with TrainingPeaks and its metrics, weekly TSS is between 264 and 639.
The training weeks are typically broken down into five rides: three during the week and two on the weekend. There is a simple recovery ride on Friday, which can be an additional day off if needed. The midweek rides are more suited to an indoor trainer but can easily be completed on the road. The weekend rides focus on building your endurance and allow you to practice and refine your fueling and hydration strategies.
This plan is designed for any the following:
- Cyclists who have just completed a British Cycling Base Training Plan (or have been riding for 4-8 weeks, 3-4 times a week) and be capable of riding for 120 minutes
- Cyclists who have been riding regularly but haven’t followed a structured training plan before or are returning to the sport after a bit of a layoff
- Anyone currently fit, active, and doing at least three 60-minute bouts of exercise a week (even if not cycling)
The plan is fully supported by content on the British Cycling Insight Zone, where you can find advice on skills, training, nutrition, equipment, clothing and maintenance.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.