Over 50s Endurance and Conditioning Plan (Road + Heart Rate)
Grant GoodmanAll plans by this Coach
This is an 10 week plan (see prerequisites below) based plan that is designed for the particular requirements of the older rider. The main problem with conventional training programmes is that they do not address three essential considerations :
(1) the need to slow the loss of muscle mass we experience due to hormonal changes in our latter years, hence a greater emphasis on building strength is needed.
(2) the need for greater periods of rest and recovery after workouts - we can do the same levels of intensity, but the programmes need to be tailored to give more time for recovery and adaption
(3) the need to have high intensity intervals to delay on the onset in reduction of our VO2Max (our ability to use oxygen to create energy)
Although our bodies age although we can still perform and this plan concentrates on progressively building base endurance using best in class techniques from industry leaders and research academics, exercises that develop cyclist specific strength and conditioning as proven with Team Ineos.
The programme is divided into three elements, the combination of which is unique in the market. In essence we have designed a programme that ensures that your fitness levels increase at a pace optimal your ability to recover and then adapt to increased training loads, while giving you the tools to improve your overall performance and resilience. The programme is broken down as follows :
(1) The base element includes a series of tempo and higher interval efforts (either on the turbo trainer or flat to rolling roads) in your weekday rides. Note that we use Sufferfest sessions and follow best practise from the US and GB Olympic teams, basing most of the effort on endurance with highly beneficial high intensity efforts. Alongside these are longer rides at the weekend and a fasted session which will help build a strong endurance base. The training load that is applied to each workout can be adjusted to your degree of freshness and fatigue,
(2) The second element is a series of strength and conditioning exercises to ensure that you build a strong foundation and hence become less prone to injury or soreness. These exercises assess and improve your range of movement, then work to improve your control over the range of movements needed to build resilience. Following this regime will help you never again do a weights session that is unsuitable, has little value or results in injury and unnecessary soreness.
(3) The third element is a series of videos that include short highly focused yoga sessions to help you obtain greater flexibility and improve recovery and a series of videos giving you the edge in terms of mental toughness needed to achieve your goal.
The price includes two months subscription to Sufferfest. You may of course continue with the subscription beyond the programme.
To begin this programme you will need the following:
1. Heart rate monitor
2. Strava account (optional)
3. TrainingPeaks account (Premium can be provided as a costed option)
4. Cycle computer to follow the heart based structured workouts while riding.
Before starting please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for an initial consultation so that we can help you prepare for the workouts, setup Sufferfest, Trainingpeaks, etc.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?