EXPERIENCE PLUS 501 TOUR RIDER, OVER 50, 6-13hpw, 21-WEEKS
Joe FrielAll plans by this Coach
Train smart with a cycling training plan by Joe Friel, best-selling author and internationally recognized endurance coach.
- Plan is intended for a cyclist over age 50 who is doing an Experience Plus bike tour with a difficulty rating of 501.
- Plan is for 21 weeks and culminates with the Experience Plus tour.
- Receive two follow-up emails from Joe with more information on the plan (must provide email address at time of purchase).
- If plan is not working for you within the first 2 weeks, you can switch to a plan of equal value or receive a full refund.
“Joe Friel is arguably the most experienced personal cycling coach in the U.S.” —Bicycling magazine
“Joe Friel is one of the world’s foremost experts on endurance sports.” —Outside magazine
“Your training approach really helped propel my cycling and helped me train and race at my best.” —Mitchell, amateur cyclist
Who is this plan for?
This 21-week training plan for the over-50 cyclist was designed by Joe Friel for the rider doing an Experience Plus bike tour with a difficulty rating of 501. All workouts are described in simple and common language. Descriptions of when to use sports drinks and how much to take in are included.
When should you start the plan?
This plan is best started 21 weeks prior to the week of the tour ride. You should be able to train about 7 hours a week before starting this plan.
What is the weekly volume?
Following this plan you will ride 4–6 days each week starting at about 6 hours per week and building to about 13 hours. Weekly volume may be increased, at your discretion, by including the suggested additional riding time and strength workouts. Every third week of this plan includes 5 days of reduced training volume to allow you to recover and physically adapt to the previous 2 weeks of challenging workouts. As you progress, the workouts become increasingly more difficult with hills and longer rides. Goals are included weekly to help you understand exactly what you are to accomplish. (The only difference between this plan and the similarly titled one for Under-50 cyclists is that this plan offers more frequent rest.)
Do you need any devices or apps?
You can use either a heart rate monitor or a bike power meter with this plan. Note that this plan does not include expected workout TSS and does not use the TrainingPeaks “Workout Builder” format. TSS, however, is still calculated on completion of every workout. (Plans with “NEW” in the title include both expected TSS and use the Workout Builder feature.)
After your event, please provide feedback on how this plan worked for you. Thanks again for your interest in my training plans, and I hope your training and racing go very well this season.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?