Road racing: 16 week prep & base plan
Pedal ActionAll plans by this Coach
- Intermediate level (1-4 years cycling)
- Riding regularly (4+ times/week)
- Plan duration: 12 weeks
- 8-12 hours week
The 16 week base plan puts in the foundations you will need to perform well in road races. Based on the latest science based training principals, the plan will improve your fitness, make your stronger, more resilient to injury and set you up well for your target events.
The plan provides the following:
- Testing protocols to allow you to track your progress
- Power based workouts, available for download onto common platforms (TrainerRoad, Zwift, Garmin etc)
- Improve Stamina and fatigue resistance (reduces the effects of fatigue during long races)
- Improve Time To Exhaustion (TTE)
- Improve Functional Threshold Power (FTP)
- Free TrainingPeaks account (Premium for first 30 days)
- Membership to closed facebook group for Pedal Action athletes with access to coaches to ask questions
- TSS based plan
- TrainingPeaks basic athlete account
The plan uses periodisation to split the training into three four week blocks, each block has three weeks where the workload gets progressively harder with the fourth week being a recovery and testing week. The focus of each block changes:
- Block 1 (4 weeks): Prep work, cycling, cross training
- Block 2 (4 weeks): The basics; aerobic endurance, muscular force and efficiency
- Block 3 (4 weeks): Aerobic endurance, muscular force, speed skills, limited muscular endurance
- Block 4 (4 weeks): Aerobic endurance, muscular force, speed skills, limited muscular endurance, limited anaerobic endurance
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|7:34 hrs||4:00 hrs|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||7:34 hrs||4:00 hrs|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?