Coach Joseph MaloneyAll plans by this Coach
This plan will walk you through an 8 week progression of Sweet Spot Intervals (SSI). Sweet Spot Intervals are a keystone of early and mid season training. They are an excellent way to build your early season fitness and maintain that fitness into the mid season as well as provide a check-in for how things are going. This plan is best suited for riders who have 4-8 weeks of riding already under their belt and are ready to start with structured workouts to prepare for early season racing or build into the mid season to prepare for intensity.
The plan progresses in 2 week segments at each duration. The first week will challenge you to complete the duration and power targets and the second week will give you a chance to master the effort before moving on to the next increase in duration. It is important that you complete the efforts within the ranges before moving on to the next level of workout.
What does it mean to complete duration and power target? The aim is to sustain an average power within the workout range for given duration, the number of times. The best way to do this is to setup your cycling computer to show you the current intervals average power and use that to help you maintain your effort within the range.
Week 1-2: 3x7 minutes
Week 3-4: 2x10 minutes
Week 5-6: 2x15 minutes
Week 7-8: 2x20 minutes
These workouts are supplemented with tempo and endurance workouts to continue to build your base while supporting your threshold growth.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
Day Off x2
|Workouts Per Week
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.