Joe FrielAll plans by this Coach
Train smart with a training plan by Joe Friel, best-selling author and internationally recognized endurance coach.
- Plan is intended for a cyclist under age 50 who has been racing for two or more years.
- Plan is for 11 weeks of Build-Peak-Race training, culminating with your criterium.
- Receive two follow-up emails from Joe with more information on the plan (must provide email address at time of purchase).
- If plan is not working for you within the first 2 weeks, you can switch to a plan of equal value or receive a full refund.
“Joe Friel is arguably the most experienced personal cycling coach in the U.S.” —Bicycling magazine
“Joe Friel is one of the world’s foremost experts on endurance sports.” —Outside magazine
“Your training approach really helped propel my cycling and helped me train and race at my best.” —Mitchell, amateur cyclist
This criterium Build-Peak-Race plan for the under-50 cyclist was designed by Joe Friel using the principles from The Cyclist’s Training Bible. Having this book handy will help with many of the workouts presented in the training plan but is not necessary.
Who is this plan for?
This plan is intended for the under-50 cyclist who has been racing for two or more years. The plan uses common cycling language to describe the workouts and is easy to follow. By the end of 11 weeks you will have excellent fitness and be ready for your A-priority criterium race.
When should you start the plan?
This plan is best started 11 weeks prior to your A-priority race. You should be able to train about 12 hours a week. Your bike training zones should be established before starting this plan. (For a detailed description of how to set your zones for heart rate, power, or pace, read this.)
What is the weekly volume?
The weekly training volume varies from about 9 hours to 11 hours, depending on periodization, with most weeks at 10.5–11 hours. The emphasis is on power for anaerobic endurance and anaerobic capacity, but there are a variety of workouts throughout to develop all of the necessary, race-specific abilities. Optional training races (C-priority) are included throughout the plan. Strength maintenance workouts are included once each week. (If you did not lift weights in the preceding Base period, it’s best to not lift while following this plan. Instead, take those days off from training.) Besides training hours this plan also forecasts what your Training Stress Score (TSS) will be for each workout. Of course, it’s likely that your workout TSS will be somewhat different when you finish the ride. Besides workout duration, TSS also takes into account what the intensity of your ride was, so it’s a better predictor of performance gains than is workout duration alone.
Do you need any devices or apps?
You must have a heart rate monitor to gauge workout intensity. The plan was created using the TrainingPeaks “Workout Builder” format so that workouts may be uploaded to a device (power meter, heart rate monitor, indoor trainer, etc.) or a third-party app to help you follow them precisely. The format also makes it easier to visualize what the workout will be like. (For more information on compatible devices and apps and how to export the workouts, read this. However, it’s not necessary to upload the workouts in order to use this plan.)
After your event, please provide feedback on how this plan worked for you. Thanks again for your interest in my training plans, and I hope your training and racing go very well this season.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.