BIKE ROAD RACING, BUILD-PEAK PLAN, INTERMEDIATE/OVER 50, 12hpw, HR MONITOR, 12-WEEKS
Joe FrielAll plans by this Coach
Train smart with a bike racing training plan by Joe Friel, best-selling author and internationally recognized endurance coach.
- Plan is intended for the over-age-50 cyclist who has been racing for one or more years.
- Plan is for 12 weeks of Build-Peak-Race training, culminating with your A-priority road race in the last week of the plan.
- Receive two follow-up emails from Joe with more information on the plan (must provide email address at time of purchase).
- If plan is not working for you within the first 2 weeks, you can switch to a plan of equal value or receive a full refund.
“Joe Friel is arguably the most experienced personal cycling coach in the U.S.” —Bicycling magazine
“Joe Friel is one of the world’s foremost experts on endurance sports.” —Outside magazine
“Your training approach really helped propel my cycling and helped me train and race at my best.” —Mitchell, amateur cyclist
This intermediate road cycling plan was designed by Joe Friel using the principles from The Cyclist’s Training Bible. Having this book handy will help with many of the workouts presented in the training plan but is not necessary.
Who is this plan for?
This plan is intended for the over-50 road cyclist who has been racing for one or more years. The plan uses common cycling language to describe the workouts and is easy to follow. By the end of 12 weeks you will have excellent fitness and be ready for your A-priority road race.
When should you start the plan?
This plan is best started 12 weeks prior to your A-priority road race. You should be able to train about 12 hours a week. Your bike heart rate training zones should be set before starting the plan. (For a detailed description of how to set your zones for heart rate, power, or pace, read this.)
What is the weekly volume?
Over the plan’s 12 weeks you will increase your weekly race-like intensity while weekly volume remains at about 12 hours (except for rest and recovery weeks every third week). There is an emphasis on high-intensity training to prepare you for the race. Optional strength workouts are included each week to maintain your gains made in the Base period. (If you didn’t lift in the Base period, omit the strength workouts.)
Do you need any devices or apps?
You must have a heart rate monitor to use this plan (there is a similarly titled plan for power meter users). The plan was created using the TrainingPeaks “Workout Builder” format so that workouts may be uploaded to a device (heart rate monitor, power meter, indoor trainer, etc.) so that you may closely follow the details of the ride during the workouts. (For more information on compatible devices and apps and how to export the workouts, read this. However, it’s not necessary to upload the workouts in order to use this plan.)
After your event, please provide feedback on how this plan worked for you. Thanks again for your interest in my training plans, and I hope your training and racing go very well this season.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?