Maintainer: Category 4/5 (Road)
Coach Jeff WinklerAll plans by this Coach
This plan is designed to be used during the racing season. The "racing season" is the period (or periods) during the year when you are primarily focused on competition. This could mean 2 races per weekend or 1 race per month, and everything in between.
Generally, a heavy competition schedule requires maintaining a plateau of fitness for a relatively long period of time. If you only have 1 or 2 competitions during the season, a peaking-style plan would be more appropriate.
The 2 big difference between the in-season "Maintainer" plan and the pre-season "Upgrader" plans, is that 1) you can't count on have the weekends free for longer training sessions and 2) you need to be more careful about balancing work and recovery for weeks with important races.
The "plan" is comprised of various weekly templates:
- race weeks (#1, #2, #3) - these weeks will manage training load so that you are fresh and ready to race to your potential, and varies depending on the number and timing of your races on the weekend
- training weeks (A & B) - these are to be used when there are no races on the weekend
- regeneration week - a light week to allow some deeper recovery, these weeks are important to insert every 3-6 weeks during the race season to maintain motivation
The idea is that you can use these various weeks throughout your competition period and organize them to work with your own race schedule.
There are no explicit "testing" weeks. You need to incorporate periodic "field tests" or rely on race data to make sure your training zones are accurate. Training zone accuracy is important so that the sessions impose the intended training stress.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x2
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?