Drew EdsallAll plans by this Coach
This 26 week training plan will incrementally build your fitness so you are at your peak fitness for a 50 Mile Mountain Bike Race at the end of the training plan. This training plan can be used with power and/or heart rate training.
This training plan is 5 days a week with off days on Monday and Friday. Workouts on Tues-Thurs are shorter and can be done indoors or outdoors. Workouts on the weekends are longer and are preferably done outdoors. The workouts during this training plan are 8-13 hours a week.
You will be working on a combination of building your fitness with a variety of types of rides (long, short and intense, mountain bike specific, etc.), and will also work on your pacing and nutrition for a 50 mile race.
This training plan has three phases to it:
Phase 1: Weeks 1-8
Rides during the week are shorter and more intense. You can do these indoors or outdoors. Rides on the weekend are meant to be outdoors and are focused on fun, moderate-hard rides
Phase 2: Weeks 9-16
Rides get longer. During the week they can be done indoors or outdoors, but on the weekend the rides begin to increase rapidly to start prepping you early on with Base miles for the 50 mile race
Phase 3: Weeks 17-Race day
Rides get more and more specific to what you will encounter at a 50 mile race. You will be given race specific long rides every Saturday that work on combination of fitness, pacing, and nutrition strategy for your race day.
The plan focuses on the athlete looking to start training specifically for a 50 mile race. You can add races throughout the plan as needed.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x2
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.