This plan is aimed at experienced Mountain bikers aged 18 to 45 who typically have a minimum of 2 years racing experience and wish to follow a structured plan during the off season winter months in preparation for a season of XC racing and one day Marathon events.
You will be guided through the 12 week period via two five week blocks of training, each seperated by a recovery week and fitness assesment (self conducted hill effort) to monitor performance. Following the completion of this plan it is advised that at least 4 weeks of high intensity training be completedbefore commencing the race season or alternatively see additional plan "Part 2: progressing from winter training to early season racing".
Prior to starting the plan you will have had a rest period of approximately one month following your previous season of racing and then completed two weeks of very easy riding (4 to 8 hours approximately) to get back into a training routine.
Weekly training volumes vary from 6 to 14 hours over a range of 5 to 6 training days per week. A variety of structured sessions are provided and aim to improve endurance and strength whilst including some pedalling drills to improve technique.
Training sessions are prescribed using heart rate zones and therefore a heart rate monitor is essential when following this plan. A spreadsheet is attached for the calculation of heart rate zones.
Heart Rate Zones (based on % maximum heart rate)
Level 1 = 0 to 64%
Lower Level 2 = 65% to 78%
Upper Level 2 = 79% to 88%
Level 3 = 89% to 94%
Level 4 = 95% to 100%
If you have any questions relating to this plan please email firstname.lastname@example.org
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.