Andrew McDonaldAll plans by this Coach
Grit: Kettlebell Strength and Power Foundations
Grit is the foundational kettlebell programme, but do not underestimate its effectiveness. Regardless of age or starting ability, following this programme with the right technique will have you stronger, more mobile and powerful in a relatively short period of time.
Strength and stamina will also be greatly improved as a solid foundation for running, riding and all dynamic sports.
Maximal tension is the primary component of ‘Hard-Style’ kettlebell training, very similar to that used in Martial Arts. A strong brace in the core with each swing brings excellent internal tension.
The programme is designed not to exhaust you, rather supplement sports specific training or restore basic functional movements. It is also flexible in nature, aim to complete at least 3 sessions per week.
After an introductory period of 2 weeks, the aim will be to complete a total of 100 Swings and 10 Get-Ups in each session. Quality of technique is of paramount and should be performed at maximum power. The rate at which you progress through the sets is determined by you and if technique slips at any point, the session must end.
Regular testing will provide you the feedback required to determine progress and offer direction toward the density, volume and intensity of the subsequent reasoning block.
This plan has been adopted from the Simple and Sinister Kettlebell Training plan, please visit www.StrongFirst.com to find out more. Technique videos can be found on YouTube but if you wish to continue the programme to supplement your sport-specific training, please contact for coaching details.
Practical technique feedback can be arranged via video submission - contact for more details.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts Per Week
Training Load By Week
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.