Coach Joseph MaloneyAll plans by this Coach
5 minute efforts are a critical effort level for speed in Cross Country as well as for having the extra kick of effort at the end of those longer Marathon events. Building up you 5 minute efforts will give you more capacity to train the specifics later in the season. To execute this plan, follow the threshold based targets for all the workouts except the 5 minute workouts.
For the 5 minute workouts
Week 1: Use the % threshold target and range as a guideline to help you pace yourself. But focus on maximizing your average power for the intervals, see how high an average you can do each time. Of the 3 intervals, take the middle effort in terms of average power, and use that for you target for the workouts next week.
Week 2: Taking your middle interval in terms of average power as a target, complete all three intervals with the goal of all of the them having an average power above the target.
Week 3: If you were able to successfully match the target from the week before, increase your target by 10 more watts for this week. If not, keep the target the same.
Week 4: This week will be a rest week. Focus on keeping the effort levels within the ranges and getting some recovery time. There will be no 5 minute efforts this week.
Week 5-8: Take your power target from week 3 and use it for week 5. Each week, if you were able to hit the target the week before, increase the target by 10 watts and keep all 5 intervals above that target.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
Day Off x2
|Workouts Per Week
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.