DAY 2: Pedaling Skill Improvement Day.
Do the below trainer ride with your bike on an indoor trainer OR take a 60 minute spin class and focus on pedaling smoothly and efficiently OR go for a 60 minute technical mountain bike ride.
-5 minutes easy spinning in power L1 or heart rate zone 1 and cadence 70 - 90 rpm
- Max Cadence Set: 10 X 1 minutes as 10 seconds max cadence and 50 seconds easy spin recovery. Heart rate stays zone 2 and below, power stays in level 2 and below (see Saturday for heart rate zone and power level information).
- Spin-Up Set: 8 X 2 minutes in power L2 or HRZ2 as 1 minute high cadence 100 - 120 rpm, 1 minute medium cadence 70 - 90 rpm. Shift gears if needed to keep power and cadence on target. HR stays zone 2 and below.
- One Leg Pedaling Set: 8 X 3 minutes as 1 minute right leg only at 60 rpm, 1 minute left leg only at 60 rpm, 1 minute both legs at 95 rpm. Heart rate stays zone 2 and below, power stays in level 2 and below.
- 5 minutes easy cool down spin at 70 - 90 rpm.
DAY 2: Use a combination of rolling on the foam roller and stretching to work out your hot spots.
DAY 3: Ride easy for 30 minutes. This ride is an optional extra bonus session.
Only do this ride if your fridge is full of groceries, you can log 8 hours of sleep tonight, are caught up on your essential chores and you have given the attention to your loved ones you need.
Any bike errands or bike commuting counts towards this ride time today.
You can split this 30 minute session up as 15 mins before core work and 15 mins after core work. Cross training with the elliptical, a swim, row, run etc is super also.
If you can, do this with a loved one to combine social and workout time. Maximize your time. Be creative. Make it fun.
DAY 4: Do this indoors or outdoors. Review our Training Intensity Guidelines doc to dial in your intensity and pacing. You will set your training zones on day 6 with the benchmark test.
- 5 minutes in easy pedaling in HRZ 1-2 or power L1-2
Repeat this sequence 3 times:
5 mins at 95 - 105 rpm
5 mins at 55 - 65 rpm
5 mins at 75 - 85 rpm
1st time through hold power L2 or HRZ2 or an easy pace
2nd time through hold power L3 or HRZ3 or a tempo pace
3rd time through hold power L2 or HRZ2 or an easy pace
- Finish the ride time in power L1 or HRZ1 at an easy pace and any comfortable cadence.
DAY 4: Move this to another day if it does not fit in your schedule today.
Core and upper-body training: Do a variety of exercises for your shoulders, hips, abdominal and lower back muscles. Examples are push-ups, pull-ups, bridging, planks, crunches, back extensions, Pilates.
DAY 5: Use a combination of rolling on the foam roller and stretching to work out your hot spots.
DAY 5: Spin with an easy effort at the high end of your comfortable cadence range in HRZ1-2 or power level 1-2. Allow your feet and legs to relax while spinning. Note and record your average cadence for the ride when done.
Casual Friday Option: You can split this ride up into a.m and p.m. rides today if you like and commute to work on your bike.
If you are time-crunched today, do the most time efficient exercise available to you for 30 minutes at a happy feel good cruise along aerobic pace.