Leadville 2020 Custom Training Plan: 24 weeks
This 24 week Leadville 100 Mountain Bike Program is built around your races, strengths/weaknesses, past fitness, current fitness, time to train, and goals. This is the best option for the athlete looking for a customized hand built program but doesn't want to spend tons on a one on one coach......
The program will include a combination of the following which is 100% customized around what is best for you:
- Periodized Training : Base, Build, and Peak for Leadville
- Strength Training: based off your need after evaluation
- Indoor / Outdoor training: based off access, climate you live in, daylight, etc.
- Power and/or Heart Rate Training: program will be based off what you have access to and will be modified to best suite that
1) After checkout, you will get access to the ONLY first week of training. The remainder of the program will be hand built and customized for you. The first day of training will include a link a Questionnaire which you will need to fill out ASAP. Once that is filled out, Head Coach Drew Edsall will contact you confirming that information. He will also do a complete evaluation to determine your goals, races, current/past fitness levels, and strengths and weaknesses as a mountain biker .
2) Then we will design and build a fully customized program just for you. Using our proven, scientifically based system, your program will progressively guide you toward your end goal at the Leadville 100 Mountain Bike Race. Your plan will include any tune-up races as well as vacations, work, travel, injuries, etc. This truly is a fully personalized training plan. Not only will you train optimally and avoid the pitfalls that come with following a generic program, you’ll know you are doing the right training for you.
3) Once the design step is completed (usually taking 1-2 weeks), your new Training Peaks program is emailed to you with directions on how to use it. Then, you’re off and training/racing toward your goals!
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||10:39 hrs||3:00 hrs|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||10:39 hrs||3:00 hrs|
Sample Day 1
Today is an easy ride. Do not over do it! Tomorrow will be tough, and this ride will make sure you are prepared for the hard ride tomorrow. RPE for this ride should be a 3-4 out of 10(see attachment with start up for basics on RPE).
Sample Day 2
BT: Warm up with 20 minutes of easy to moderate spinning. Then ride a 30 minute time trial on flat course. Punch HR monitor 'lap' button 10 minutes into Time Trial. Average heart rate for last 20 minutes predicts Lactate threshold heart rate (LTHR). Follow the instructions in the attachment that came with your program purchase for details on what to do with this number.
Sample Day 3
Ride Zones 1-2 only today. Within the ride include 20 minutes of one legged work, where one leg does 90% of the work while the other leg "loafs". While perfoming this drill, attempt to push your toes to the front of your shoe at the top of the pedal stroke, and scrape dirt off your shoes at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Attempt to eliminate all dead spots and become more efficient!
Sample Day 4
Ride Zones 1-2 inlcuding 3-5 x 30 second accelerations to Zones 3-4.
Sample Day 5
Ride all zones today. Push the climbs, relax and recover on the downhills. Aim to progressively get faster as the ride goes on. Finish off with 10-15 minute cool down easy in Zones 1-2 only.
Sample Day 6
Ride Zones 1-3 off road. During this ride focus on "flowing" through the trails. Look ahead and into the trail, brake before/after and not into the turns, and think/plan ahead.