Customisable Aerobic Development Plan for INDOOR TRAINING (Power-Based): 16 Weeks; 7-10 Hrs/W
Tom BellAll plans by this Coach
This is a structured program specifically designed to develop your aerobic base. Expected outcomes from the plan include: improved VO2max, improved lactate threshold power, improved time to exhaustion at the lactate threshold and improved fat oxidation ability.
All workouts are designed to be suitable for indoor training, including lots of variety and interest within sessions, and the opportunity for some virtual racing. The plan includes a mixture of interval sessions shown scientifically and through experience to improve aerobic fitness (scientific support for interval designs is referenced within the plan, where relevant). However, unlike many other indoor plans (which include a high proportion of intense training, which is not sustainable, and quickly results in a fitness plateau), this plan prioritises lower-intensity training which is essential for long-term and sustainable improvements in aerobic fitness . We also employ scientifically-grounded techniques such as fasted training, and low-cadence work to help bring about adaptations that are usually only triggered towards the end of longer outdoor rides .
The plan includes tips on how to supplement indoor training with some outdoor training if desired. The plan also includes a comprehensive PDF user guide, which includes information on how the plan can be customised, including how to increase/decrease the weekly training time, and how to get the most from your training sessions.
Who’s it for?
This plan has been built specifically for MODERATE TO WELL TRAINED Road, MTB and CX cyclists seeking to build their aerobic base in anticipation of the upcoming competitive season.
The plan can be used during the base phase, or any other period where a focus on all-round aerobic development is desired.
Please get in touch at email@example.com if you'd like guidance on selecting a plan that's appropriate for you.
- Built using TrainingPeaks’ Workout Builder
- PDF user guide to support customisation of the plan, and ensure workouts are performed optimally
- All workouts exportable to .FIT, .ZWO, .ERG formats (to be used with Zwift, TrainerRoad etc)
- Polarised Intensity Distribution
- Large variety of interval workouts
- All workouts designed for power meter users
- Progressive TSS load for sustained improvement throughout 16-week period
- Each workout’s purpose and key adaptations clearly communicated
 Seiler, Stephen, and Espen Tønnessen. "Intervals, thresholds, and long slow distance: the role of intensity and duration in endurance training." Sportscience 13.13 (2009): 32-53.
 Burke, L. M. (2010). Fueling strategies to optimize performance: training high or training low?. Scandinavian journal of medicine & science in sports, 20, 48-58.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?