CENTURY-GRAN FONDO-CYCLOSPORTIF, BUILD-PEAK PLAN, ADVANCED RIDER, 12-13hpw, 11-WEEKS
Joe FrielAll plans by this Coach
Train smart with a cycling training plan by Joe Friel, best-selling author and internationally recognized endurance coach.
- Plan is intended for the advanced rider who has been riding and training seriously for at least three years.
- Plan is for 11 weeks of Build-Peak training, culminating with a century ride, a Gran Fondo, or a Cyclosportif.
- Receive two follow-up emails from Joe with more information on the plan (must provide email address at time of purchase).
- If plan is not working for you within the first 2 weeks, you can switch to a plan of equal value or receive a full refund.
“Joe Friel is arguably the most experienced personal cycling coach in the U.S.” —Bicycling magazine
“Joe Friel is one of the world’s foremost experts on endurance sports.” —Outside magazine
“To say that Joe Friel knows a thing or two about how to ride a bicycle and stay fast would be a severe understatement.” —Road Bike Action
This advanced century–Gran Fondo–Cyclosportif plan was designed by Joe Friel using the principles from The Cyclist’s Training Bible. Having this book handy will help with many of the workouts presented in the training plan but is not necessary.
Who is this plan for?
This training plan is intended for the advanced rider who has been riding and training seriously for at least three years and wants to prepare for a ride of approximately 100 miles (160 km).
When should you start the plan?
This plan is best started 11 weeks prior to your century ride. Before starting this plan, you should complete a period of base training, be able to ride 10 hours a week for two weeks, and complete a long ride of about 3 hours. This plan culminates with a century or Cyclosportif at the end of the last week.
What is the weekly volume?
Weekly volume is around 12–13 hours per week, including optional strength training once a week.
Do you need any devices or apps?
You do not need any devices or apps for this plan. Workout intensities are based on "easy," moderate," and "hard" descriptions along with, for some rides, a Rating of Perceived exertion (RPE) on scale of 1 (easy) to 5 (hard). Note that this plan does not include expected workout TSS and does not use the TrainingPeaks “Workout Builder” format. TSS, however, is still calculated on completion of every workout.
After your event, please provide feedback on how this plan worked for you. Thanks again for your interest in my training plans, and I hope your training and racing go very well this season.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?