This fitness test helps you update your power and heart rate thresholds for Training Peaks.
15 mins in Z2,
5 mins as (15 secs in Z4 + 45 secs easy in Z2).
20 mins maximal steady state time trial. Go as hard as you can sustain for 20-minutes.
10 mins in Z2.
Note: Alternatively, if you have a bike training device with its own "FTP" test protocol, you could use that instead.
TIP: Have a fan and/or air conditioning, so that heat stress is not a limiting factor for this test.
10 mins in low Z2,
5 x (15 secs in Z4 + 45 secs in low Z2).
3 x (7 mins in upper Z4 + 4 min recoveries in low Z2).
5 mins in upper Z2,
10 mins in low Z2.
Ride mainly in Zone 2 today. You should be able to maintain conversation at this intensity. Don't be tempted to ride harder.
20 mins in low Z2.
30 mins in upper Z2.
10 mins in low Z2.
Please check the link below for full exercise instructions, progressions, alternatives and videos:
Whole Body Strength:
1. Squat: 3 x 12 (Exercise 1)
2. Reverse Lunge: 3 x 6 (Exercise 6)
3. Step Up: 3 x 10 (Exercise 7)
4. Bench Press: 2 x 12 (Exercise 13)
5. Tricep Kickback: 3 x 10 (Exercise 14)
6. Bird Dog: 3 x 8 (Exercise 17)
7. Lying Hip Abduction: 3 x 12 (Exercise 18)
8. Plank: 1 x 3 (Exercise 19)
9. Reverse Crunch: 3 x 12 (Exercise 26)
Flexibility: 10-15 minutes
1. 3 x 8 = 3 sets of 8 repetitions with a rest between sets.
2. Rests are 30 - 50 secs.
3. When an exercise alternates right and left, the right PLUS left movement is 1 rep.
4. For unilateral exercises, perform reps on the right, then repeat on the left. Then move to next set.
5. Breathe out on exertion and maintain form throughout.
6. For flexibility see the link below or choose stretches that work well for you.
These are workouts where the main set includes efforts that alternate above and below your one-hour threshold intensity. They are best done on an indoor trainer.
15 mins in low Z2,
5 x (10 secs in Z4 + 50 secs in low Z2).
5 x (4 mins in Z3 + 2 mins in Z5 + 2 mins in low Z2).
5 mins in low Z2.
These longer bike sessions are mostly done at an easy/steady Z2 effort, but there is a main set of long efforts at just below your threshold pace. These will help increase your threshold power without leaving you feeling excessively tired afterwards.
1 hr 20 mins in Z2.
2 x (40 mins in upper Z3 + 10 min recoveries in Z2).
1 hr in low Z2.
Ride at an easy/steady intensity, mainly in Z2 today. You should be able to chat at this intensity. This ride will improve your efficiency for using fat for fuel and increase your ability to transport oxygen to your working muscles.