Cyclocross Base 1: Sweet Spot & Skills w/ Strength Sessions - 9 hrs/week, 13 weeks
Josh NoggleAll plans by this Coach
Cycling is an endurance sport and cyclocross is no exception. This plan will help you build a solid foundation for your cyclocross season by developing your aerobic energy system with a strategic combination of workouts;
- Endurance riding
- Muscular force (sweet spot intervals)
- Neuromuscular drills (cadence drills)
- Strength training
Both volume and intensity of all workouts increase throughout the plan.
Strength sessions are performed twice per week and progress in intensity as both leg and core strength are developed. These sessions can 100% be performed with body weight, free weights, or with gym equipment.
Run sessions also progress on a weekly basis in both intensity and duration.
An FTP test is performed at the beginning of the plan and during the final week to monitor progress.
The first week includes a set of block specific notes, training plan do's and don'ts and FAQs. These notes include instructions on how to handle weeks when your time becomes more limited (which workouts to alter/skip/etc.) and weeks when you have extra time (add on to your endurance rides!).
This plan segways into Cyclocross Base 2 which continues to build on aerobic endurance and introduces VO2max intervals.
Good luck and have fun!
- Cyclocross bike
- Bike/indoor trainer with a power meter for power based workouts
- Heart rate monitor
- Your own cyclocross practice location
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?