Joe BergantineAll plans by this Coach
This 12-week Cat 3/4 (beginner/intermediate) cyclocross (CX) training plan is designed to tie-on to your summer sportive, road racing, gravel or mountain bike fitness and get you cross-ready. You should aim to coincide the final week of the plan with a weekend "A" race.
This cyclocross training plan is built for a cyclist with an existing aerobic base (8-16+ weeks of base training and the ability to ride for about 3 hours) who is training with heart rate (HR) and optionally power. For training with heart rate and power, it is assumed that you have done a recent functional threshold test and have a threshold value and zones set. Training volume averages 12.5 hours per week. The plan includes 4 weeks of Base 3, 4 weeks of Build 1, 4 weeks of Build 2 and a Race week.
This plan uses a combination of VO2 Max interval work, threshold intervals, and sprints to build up the capacity to go hard for 45 minutes to an hour. Skills work is introduced through sprints and aerobic rides intended to be done on a cross bike or mountain bike on a rolling mountain bike trail.
Workouts are designed to mostly be done outdoors with interval workouts structured using power ranges and may easily be adjusted for use with a smart trainer. Weeknight workouts are mostly under 2 hours and the longest weekend ride is 3.5 hours.
It is important to remember that this is just a guide, to listen to your body and see how you perform.
Questions? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.