Cyclocross: Intensive Aerobic Base (8-Week Power Plan)
Kent WoermannAll plans by this Coach
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
This is an intensive 8-week plan designed to optimize your aerobic capacity (VO2max) and lactate threshold (FTP). The first week is used to establish a baseline with cyclocross specific testing, then moves into a progressive interval plan. Weekends are flexible to allow for racing, group rides, or individual interval training.
Cyclocross is all about repeated high-intensity anaerobic efforts within a 30-60 minute race (depending on category). In order to be successful in cyclocross you'll need to spend plenty of time developing your anaerobic energy systems, but having a well developed aerobic base is still important for multiple reasons:
1. A higher aerobic threshold (FTP) will all you to ride harder before tapping into your limited anaerobic energy stores.
2. Strong aerobic conditioning helps improve your recharge rate of anaerobic energy, allowing you to pedal hard longer and more frequently.
3. Improving general conditioning will allow you to recover faster between workouts.
The goal of this plan is to build a cyclocross specific base, which means developing your VO2max and Lactate Threshold with a focused 8-week progressive interval training plan. Since this plan is very intensive, it's recommend that you build a general aerobic base with 8-12 weeks of consistent riding before starting this plan.
What you need for this plan:
• Power Meter
• Access to a practice cyclocross course (a homemade course near your home will do)
• Good running shoes (optional)
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|7:21 hrs||1:45 hrs|
|0:22 hrs||0:20 hrs|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||7:21 hrs||1:45 hrs|
||0:22 hrs||0:20 hrs|