Running, Personal Training, High School Cross Country, Collegiate Cross Country, Corporate Wellness
Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Professional
PhD in Medical Physiology
Coach of the Boise Billies in Boise, ID
Former collegiate XC and track runner.
100-mile US National Trail Champion (13:17)
2:23:32 Marathon PR (Boston)
Expertise in trail running, road racing, ultras.
I am now working with Sharman Ultra coaching and info about pricing and approach can be found here - https://www.sharmanultra.com/drmattlaye
First, I coach people, not robots. My coaching style is to take a scientific approach founded in my knowledge (and love) of exercise physiology and apply it in a practical individual manner to each athlete I work with. That means adapting based on individual circumstances.
The plasticity of human physiology means that everyone can show improvement as long as they follow the formula or STRESS + REST. To accomplish this I have periods of training that are very stressful and periods of training that are very light.
I believe that the stresses should vary consistently so even if you are gunning for a 100 mile ultra race expect to do some speed. The major goal of any training program is to make you a better athlete.
I love working with athletes of all types because I am inspired by the improvements that athletes of all levels can make.
I can help athletes with:
* Transitioning from the roads to the trails
* Nutritional advice for race day
* Training nutrition and periodization of nutrition
* Prehab strength workouts to keep you injury free
* Identification of different running paces
* Race day tactics
* Use of technology in training (power meter, HRV measurements)
* Understanding the science behind training
* Use of sauna to for heat adaptation and general fitness/health improvement
* Altitude adaptation and racing
1-on-1 Coaching, Consultations, Group Coaching, Local Coaching, Remote Coaching, Strength Training, Nutrition, Mental Skills, Training Camps
GPS watch, HR monitor