Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please create a TrainingPeaks account or login. Once logged in, return to the forum by clicking "Forums" at the top right of your account.
best Cycling workouts to lose weight as a diabetic
Justin_Blake
#1 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2012 11:28:49 AM(UTC)

Hi I'm hoping someone can help me out with some advice here.

My brother (aged 33) is a type 1 insulin dependent diabetic. He also weighs 227lbs :-( Not a good combination. He decided to lose weight and is keen on cycling. He's been doing 3 x 40min steady turbo sessions a week on the bike to try and lose weight and, while he looks a bit thinner around the face, his weight hasn't fallen at all. He's now deeply frustrated and at the point of giving up. I'm really not sure what to advise him to do on the bike to lose weight. My initial thought was just do some long seady rides to get some time enough in for an adaption to take place but after 2months of this now, would he be better off doing some more intense sessions? I know muscle weighs more than fat and some of his weight be just being transfered from lard to muscle so hes not seeing a weight drop, but after two months of this???

His diet is actually pretty good. A typical day would be Breakfast: 2 slices of toast with olive spread and cup of tea. Lunch is a bowl of soup with a couple of small bread rolls, and dinner is typically of the meat and two veg variety. One problem is that he sails quite low on his diabetes blood sugar level (apparently being high is bad for him long term) so if he starts to dip he needs to eat 5 or 6 biscuits or drink fruit juice to get his sugars up quickly. He doesn't drink much and assures me his snacks are infreqent.

For most of us I think its a simple equation of how much food you put in the tank vs how much activity we do equals weight loss or gain, but with his diabetes it doesn't appear that simple. I'm stuck for an answer for him but if anyone here can help it would be a soul saved from the obesity barrel and another bike convert. His worried older brother would also be deeply appreciative.

thanks for reading.

Justin
jgdicker
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 12:10:26 PM(UTC)

First of all Justin, I must tell you that I am not qualified to comment on weight loss issues for diabetics. I am simply writing to tell you that I have trained and raced with a diabetic who is now about 45 years old. He is and has been quite successful as a triathlete. I will let him know about this forum post, and hopefully he may have some advice for your brother.
Jim Dicker
Elite Coach
TrainingBible.Com
jimdicker.blogspot.com/view/timeslide
jgdicker
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:29:08 PM(UTC)

Justin,

Here is the response from the athlete that I mentioned. I hope this helps.

I was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic at the age of 42 while training for my 3rd marathon, 2nd of that year - 2005. I had lost about 10 pounds and was really excited to be at 168 at 6' 1". Little did I know my pancreas had shut down. Since the day I was diagnosed, I continued my fitness program - although slowly at first as I did not know how diabetes would impact my running. I eventually started to do triathlons as I knew I could test my blood sugars at transitions thinking my marathon days were over. In 2006 I did an olympic and a 1/2 Iron distance working with a Training Bible coach and seeing huge improvements in all three discliplines but suprisingly in my run which I thought was my strength. I have since done numerous olympics and 1/2 Iron distance as well as 2 Ironman races - so much for not running a marathon again, right?

As for weight control - I have been lucky to not have an issue, though when I started my running, pre-diabetes, I was around 210 and a 37" waist doing absolutely nothing. When I started my fitness program early on I strove for consistency - I did something aerobically 5 days a week. I also did my darndest to make sure that my diet did not INCREASE as I burned more calories, otherwise I would not lose calories - or pounds. When I was diagnosed as a type 1 I did a lot of research and found that one thing that would help me was to reduce my reliance on "white" foods - pasta, bread, chips, white rice and basically anything with processed wheat. I found this dramatically helped reduce the amount of insulin I needed on a daily basis - not a major goal of mine, but something I figured was a good side benefit. I dialed back my basal rates as my diet changed and the amount of exercise I did increased. This is very important as I found out while at a training camp in San Diego and was lucky enough to have my coach sharing a room with me and he saved my life when I was having a major sugar low.

So - my suggestion for weight loss as a type 1 diabetic is to be as consistent as possible while starting up an exercise routine. While it sounds like that is happening, see if it is possible to increase the amount of time, intensity and times per week. Heart rate needs to be in that magical zone 2 (ask Jim how to find out what zone 2 is) and it should be there for 45 to 90 minutes per session. Drop as many of the bad calories that you possibly can. Obviously this will be difficult to do all at once, so don't punish yourself if you break the rule once in a while - just remember the long term goal, as it is a long term goal and will not happen overnight - and stay focussed on eating the best possible foods. Test your sugars regularly and remember as you increase exercise and decrease food intake and change diet your insulin needs will change. Be Careful! Your body will increase its metabolism and you will naturally burn through the sugars and carbohydrates you eat (preferably fruit and vegetables) more rapidly than in the past.

Also - Check out www.insulindependence.com - a great group of people that share experiences and work together as type 1 diabetics. I also work with Dina Griffin of www.fuel4mance.com - she is a registered dietician and has a bunch of experience working with type 1 diabetics that are looking to perform in endurance events
Jim Dicker
Elite Coach
TrainingBible.Com
jimdicker.blogspot.com/view/timeslide