Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please create a TrainingPeaks account or login. Once logged in, return to the forum by clicking "Forums" at the top right of your account.
How does ATP determine number of hours in each week
JKite
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 4:25:17 PM(UTC)

I have been using TP for years to log my training but never really used the ATP or Virtual Coach before.

I'm trying to figure out how the ATP wizard determines how many hours per week it assigns for training. It doesn't seem to be affected by changing the number of hours allocated for the year. It also does not seem to change if you select Strong or Weak for current fitness. Is this expected behavior?

Also, when using Virtual Coach, there is no length assigned to each workout. Is it up to me to determine how long each workout should be? If there are only 6 or 7 training sessions listed per week, yet I am supposed to log 18-20 hours, am I really expected to run for 3-4 hours at a time multiple times per week? The total hours seems high compared to the number of workouts.

Mark Dawson
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:57:42 PM(UTC)

You can retrospectively calculate ATPs, explained here:

http://support.trainingp...alcoach-atp-wizard.aspx

Doing this may be a useful orientation, since you'll relate what you've done in the past to how you structured your training compared to how the ATP Wizard broadly structures it.

The ATP Wizard should work off your season hours, with highest weekly volume in Base 3's week(s) before your recovery week. You'll need to check this out and again compare to the past. You may want to manually edit volume in such weeks. Making your current fitness "strong" will likely not send you back so far after racing e.g. not back to Base 3 if you raced in Build 2.

The link above gives some guidance for daily hours. After that you may need to allocate hours beyond what the VC suggests, especially if you need fewer hours/workout as you mention.

I do this by refining VC's suggestions with my own workout library - having tried and tested workouts appropriate to the period I'm in, the routes I use etc. You'll likely start customising some VC workouts by blending its suggestions with your favourites.