Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please create a TrainingPeaks account or login. Once logged in, return to the forum by clicking "Forums" at the top right of your account.
bouncing in the saddle
millcrk1
#1 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2012 1:46:18 AM(UTC)

No matter how hard i try and which gear i'm in a start to bounce around 113 rpms. Any pointers on how to increase this to say 130 rpm?Confused
coachbuxton
#2 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2012 5:06:48 PM(UTC)

First, check to see if you are fitted properly on your bike. If that is all good, focus on increasing your cadence just a bit during some form sessions. Everyone's optimal cadence is different and you need to find your comfort spot. Here are two workouts to help increase your cadence:
Spin-Up Drill:
Warm-up for 10-15 minutes of easy spinning.
Spin at your normal cadence for 45 seconds and then spin-up as high as you can, without
bouncing, for 15 seconds. Make note of your highest cadence and try to better it with
each repetition and with each workout.
Repeat this sequence four times.
5 minutes easy spinning and repeat spin-ups.
Cool-down for 10-15 minutes of easy spinning.
Total Time: Approximately 44 minutes
High Cadence Drill:
Warm-up for 10-15 minutes of easy spinning.
Spin at your normal cadence for one minute and then one minute at your max cadence
(good form, no bouncing).
Repeat this sequence 3 times.
5 minutes easy spinning and repeat high cadence repeats.
Cool-down for 10-15 minutes of easy spinning.
Total Time: Approximately 47 minutes
Good luck,
Karen
mikerw
#3 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2012 8:01:15 PM(UTC)

Unless you are riding a fixed gear, I would ask why are you trying to ride at such a high cadence? I agree with the first reply, find the cadence that is natural for you and stick to it. Your legs will tell you what to do.
Mark Dawson
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:14:30 PM(UTC)

Mike - I think our friend may be using cadence as a marker of pedaling efficiency, hence Karen's pedalling skills drills.

Generally, bouncing at relatively low cadence indicates room for improving pedal stroke.

A few seasons ago I used a 5 min WU on a gym bike to improve pedaling skills before each gym session, with 30 sec spinning to the "starting to bounce point", holding, then 30 secs recovery. When I started, with feet lightly on the pedals, not strapped in, I would bounce around 130 rpm. Several months later I could hold 180 rpm. Soon after this I had a SpinScan CT test which showed I had 92% efficiency (unfortunately I don't have a "before" comparison).

I don't race track so don't get near the 250 rpm Brad McGee commonly recorded. However, flicking through my WKO+ files there are frequent sections of relatively high cadence pedaling - usually when I'm doing 20 min hill intervals at a target NP and hit very short flatter sections of the climb where its easier to hold NP by increasing cadence than changing up/down my TT bike's gears.