Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please create a TrainingPeaks account or login. Once logged in, return to the forum by clicking "Forums" at the top right of your account.
Uploading Big Files from Garmin 310XT
SimonGill
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:17:17 AM(UTC)

Hi

For the vast majority of sessions I have no problem uploading the files from garmin connect to TP. However, when I do a big session with lots of intervals etc I seem to have lots of problems.

On Fri I did a 4hr 45min ride with lots of intervals - the file size was about 12,000kb. Everytime I tried to upload it it got stuck usually around the 6000 mark but sometimes sooner (tried at least ten times). On the garmin connect site when I have the option to export it I have 3 choices - TCX file, GPX file and KML. I've no idea what this all means! Usually I use TCX (first in the list:)). I did manage to upload to TP using the GPX file but this file size was only about 6000kb and on TP I cant see any detailed info like TSS score or zone distribution. I dont think TP even recognises the KML format.

Is there a limit on the file size you can upload? If anyone has any suggestions as why the big uploads are jamming and how to get these on to TP I'd appreciate it

Best wishes
Simon
marcus_at_peaksware
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:51:47 PM(UTC)

Hi Simon,

Our system has a 10mb upload limit, which I think you're running into with those long rides. The best way to upload is to download your device directly using Device Agent, and use that to upload your workout data. In this case, you can just drag those big .tcx files into the main window of Device Agent and it will reformat, compress, and upload them for you. Device Agent is available here: http://support.trainingp...e-agent.aspx#downloadv3
Marcus Ward
Customer Success Manager
Systems Administrator
TrainingPeaks.com

SimonGill
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:35:21 PM(UTC)

Hi Marcus

Thank you for your answer - I have now downloaded the TP device agent and found the big file on my desk top and sent it to TP so that's great.

What I'm unsure of from your answer is whether I still need to use the garmin ANT agent (USB stick) to get the sessions from the watch on to garmin connect first - export these to my desktop and then "grab" these from here using TP device agent?

or do I no longer need the garmin ANT agent? Its just that I did a session this morning and "opened files" on TP agent but couldnt see where to get these direct from my watch.

Hope Ive explained that ok

Thank you for your help

Best wishes
Simon
TammyPeaksware
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:44:47 PM(UTC)

Hi Simon,

Please submit a support ticket so we can go over this in further detail with you. The Ant Agent should automatically trigger when you plug the USB stick into your port and turn the watch onto sync mode. This is the way your watch communicates with your computer.
Tammy Sadle
Support Manager
Peaksware, LLC

Pls do not private message; submit a ticket:
http://www.trainingpeaks.com/support/
tombammann
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:05:19 PM(UTC)

SimonGill;783880 wrote:
Hi Marcus

Thank you for your answer - I have now downloaded the TP device agent and found the big file on my desk top and sent it to TP so that's great.

What I'm unsure of from your answer is whether I still need to use the garmin ANT agent (USB stick) to get the sessions from the watch on to garmin connect first - export these to my desktop and then "grab" these from here using TP device agent?

or do I no longer need the garmin ANT agent? Its just that I did a session this morning and "opened files" on TP agent but couldnt see where to get these direct from my watch.

Hope Ive explained that ok

Thank you for your help

Best wishes
Simon

Simon, I use the 310XT myself. You need to use the Garmin Ant+ agent to get the data from the device. The Trainingpeaks Device Agent doesn't open data directly from the device via Ant+, but requires you to download the data via Garmin's Ant+ Agent, so that all Device Agent has to do is read the file from the Garmin device directory.

What I recommend doing, is installing the Ant+ agent to automatically download data to both Garmin's Training Center (so that way you always have your own offline copy of your data in original Garmin format) and also automatically upload to Garmin Connect. The reason I suggest downloading data to Training Center as well as Garmin Connect, is because if you later on wish to get involved in using another web app like Strava.com, currently you can upload your entire Training Center database but there is no bulk-export option from Garmin Connect. You don't *need* to copy your data to Training Center or Garmin Connect, although if you can get it to happen automatically then you'd be silly not to keep your options option and have free data redundancy.

Device Agent will detect the data folder of the 310XT (buried deep within your c:\users\ folder) and present you with the dates of data files detected. I find it annoying that the Device Agent doesn't remember which files have been uploaded and which files haven't, and therefore displays ALL of your data without highlighting the data that hasn't yet been uploaded to trainingpeaks. So, I use a little batch file to move any files from the 310XT data directory to a folder in my 'My Documents' folder which gets backed up every night, unlike my C drive.

tombammann
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:08:35 PM(UTC)

TammyPeaksware;783898 wrote:
Hi Simon,

Please submit a support ticket so we can go over this in further detail with you. The Ant Agent should automatically trigger when you plug the USB stick into your port and turn the watch onto sync mode. This is the way your watch communicates with your computer.

There shouldn't be any need to turn the watch onto sync mode. I just come home from my ride or run, and leave the watch within 10m or so range of the computer (computer is upstairs, bike and watch where I keep it is downstairs). Usually the transfer begins within seconds of getting home, although sometimes it takes 20 minutes to initiate for whatever reason. It can take up to ten minutes to transfer a big file, and sometimes the Ant+ Agent will say "50% complete, 10s remaining" but still take another ten minutes. But it always works *eventually*, and I've never need to press any buttons to initiate sync.
SimonGill
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 2:21:05 PM(UTC)

Hi Tom(bammann)

You're a star - that's clear things up abit. I downloaded through garmin ANT device - but didnt need to open garmin connect and export. I went on to TP device agent and looked at "garmin ANT" in device (previously it was garmin 310xt) - I could "open" the latest files easily enough as they were listed in date and time order.

Much slicker operation. I've never used garmin training before. Ill check it out.

Thanks for the help and tips

Best wishes
Simon
alias
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 04, 2011 2:11:22 PM(UTC)

SimonGill;783796 wrote:
Hi

On the garmin connect site when I have the option to export it I have 3 choices - TCX file, GPX file and KML. I've no idea what this all means! Usually I use TCX (first in the list:)). I did manage to upload to TP using the GPX file but this file size was only about 6000kb and on TP I cant see any detailed info like TSS score or zone distribution. I dont think TP even recognises the KML format.

Best wishes
Simon

The way I understand it, the TCX file is based on time and HR (if that's being tracked) and the GPX file adds the GPS data from the workout. I export and save both files and then upload both to TP (which then creates a combined file) for that particular workout as it gives me more data (the TSS you mentioned only comes with the GPX file, I believe).

What I don't understand is why the calories burned figure is so different between the two. For example, I did an EZ bike today and the TCX file said the calories burned was ~1200. When I added the GPX file to the workout, that figure dropped to 515 (which is what 310XT displayed when I finished the ride).

Anyone know why these numbers so often have a huge difference? I have noticed that the gap between the two is inversely related to the intensity of the workout, i.e. more intense = smaller differential.

Thanks, Matt