Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please create a TrainingPeaks account or login. Once logged in, return to the forum by clicking "Forums" at the top right of your account.
Dropping Muscle Mass
Chainracer67
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2011 5:01:26 PM(UTC)

Hey Y'all....

Anyone know if there is anything to be done to help drop a few pounds of unnecessary upper body muscle? Used to lift weights about a hundred years ago, and some of that bi-ceppy/tri-ceppy stuff that I worked so hard to gain while pumping iron - and now loathe as a cyclist - is still hanging on. I just cannot ride enough kms to burn it off, so was wondering what I could do - if anything - on a nutritional front.
Cheers
Pantsman
#2 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2011 9:06:11 AM(UTC)

...i am in the same boat, need a lot more power to compete with similar sized athletes who don't have the bulk from my swimming days, have worked on aerodynamics and this takes me so far, but not where i want to be as yet, would be interested to here anyone's thoughts even if its "suck it up and train harder"
aimhamilton
#3 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2011 5:57:22 AM(UTC)

Ooooo (first post) ;-)

You probably need to look at Catabolism and Anabolism and base your training/diet around the best way to get your body to start burning muscle.

Some people call it your Catabolic rate, but most refer to it as Catabolic State. This is the way in which you body will look for and breakdown energy sources and once it runs low in those regular places (such as carbohydrates and fat stores) it will look elsewhere for it...ie Muscle stores. Eating a high protein diet, and protein based pre and post training drinks/meals reduce the chances of your body looking at muscle as fuel. You almost want to do the opposite to this....so it may be simply a case of eating less proteins. Perhaps start reducing this gradually to see if it has any effect?

I would be careful though, as when the body has an extremely high rate of catabolism, as opposed to anabolism, muscle tissue and essential fat deposits found within the body become depleted.

For example, during rest, the body tends to recover and remain in an anabolic state. When the body does not properly rest for long periods of time, as in prolonged vigorous exercise, muscle tissue will continue to break down. Without proper nutritional intake, the natural process of tissue growth and repair will not take place.

Even though this does not sound particularly problematic, simply imagine remaining in a constant state of depletion. Quite literally, when the actual muscle tissue in the body endures lengthened stretches of the catabolic state, it eats away at itself in an attempt to find a source of stored energy.
rkattouf
#4 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2011 3:33:53 PM(UTC)

Hello Chainracer67,

Thank you for your post. One of the main keys is that you do not want to “waste muscle.” I realize that you want to change your body composition. So, with that being said, let's look at it like this… “Your strength is your strength”, and you can use this to your advantage. With proper training and nutrition, you will start to change your body composition.

It is very common for athletes coming from a strength/power background and then transitioning into endurance sports, to start to want to make these type of body composition changes. The key, during this process, is to maintain the lean muscle; again, this will be very advantageous to you in terms of necessary strength and power. If we “waste muscle”, we can then lose significant amounts of power and strength.

Making these body composition changes is a journey and there are a number of factors that need to be aligned… The proper heart rate training, the proper resistance training (and yes, even though you want to lose some upper body mass, I highly recommend continuing with the resistance training in order to continue to build lean muscle), the proper eating frequency, the proper nutrient timing, the proper balance of carbohydrates/protein/fat, the proper total calories, the proper amount of sleep, etc.

If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me. My contact information is below. Best wishes!

Sincerely,
Dr. Rick Kattouf II
TeamKattouf Nutrition Supplements, http://www.amazon.com/s/...kattouf&x=0&y=0
Host of Rx Nutrition, http://teamkattouf.com/rxnutrition.html
http://www.teamkattouf.com
rick@rickkattouf.com
866-966-1422
Follow Coach Kattouf and TeamKattouf Coaching on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and LinkedIn
danduryea
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 02, 2011 8:35:46 PM(UTC)

I personally had the same problem too. I was a personal trainer and fitness instructor for sometime. During the process I put on quite a bit of upper body muscle. Since I moved into the endurance sport world I have been trying to figure out how to lose it. I don't recommend attempting to cut the weight off quick, because you will lose some of your lower body muscle too. If you continue to ride and lose small amounts of weight, some of the upper body will eventually come off while you maintain your functional threshold power.

I did it a little differently personally. I went on a 2 week cycling tour through the Cascades of the Pacific North West. During that time I lost 12 lbs. This is no where near the recommended healthy range, but I managed to keep the weight off while increasing my FTP by 5%.

I am not recommending one thing over the other but just trying to give you a little personal experience.

Hey but chicks dig big guns!

Daniel Duryea
venture-fit.com
TerraFirmaRacingBlog
Daniel Duryea
venture-fit.com