Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please create a TrainingPeaks account or login. Once logged in, return to the forum by clicking "Forums" at the top right of your account.
Disappointed and Lost
browne
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:16:00 AM(UTC)

I am a long time TP user who LOVED the classic mode. I relied heavily on the running totals of hours and miles per week and used the graphs and charts to graphically depict total hours and miles. Do these functions exist anymore? I have spent time trying to figure out how to do these simple things in the new version and don't see them. The new version is very slow to load and really is not useful at all to me right now. I watched a tutorial or two and it really didn't help. Guess I better get my old log book dusted off.
Brad Culberson
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:43:00 AM(UTC)

as far as the load time, the new app will be a little slower the first time you hit it. most of the data we download should be available next time so you will see it dramatically speed up if your browser is caching properly. after the app is loaded, operations in there should be significantly faster than before. you need to look into customizing the new app. if you want to see the totals per week, make sure your 8th day is enabled in settings for calendar. the new app has significantly more functionality than classic did... but it will take some poking around to get it they way you want it and to figure out where everything you want is at now. Brad
lance_jensen
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2010 4:40:00 PM(UTC)

Browne, You're not the only one. I've been trying to learn the new TP for the past month or so as I knew the classic version was being discontinued. The new version has most of the classic features, but to me, they aren't always in the obvious (or logical) location. There are still many bugs and inconsistencies which I really hope somehow will be ironed out one day. For example, I was just looking at my total workout time in a pod on the dashboard and said 29 hours. Last time I looked at it a week or so ago it said 31 hours, which is completely illogical. On the ATP page it shows I have 75 hours actual workout time. Which is right???? Confusing... Also, the pod that shows my weekly workout duration says I have 7.5 hours planned for the week, but if I go to my workout calendar, it shows the correct amount, 14.5 hours. I have no idea how there can be so many inconsistencies. Too bad classic is gone, at least it was consistent. :(
Brad Culberson
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2010 4:50:00 PM(UTC)

Lance... I just looked into your account, and all the numbers mentioned matched. You need to set the dates on the dashboard to the week you want data for it you want it to compare. You were comparing the last month to a week in the future, that is not a valid comparison. I attached the screenshots from your account showing all the times matching identically.
Brad Culberson attached the following image(s):
Capture_Dash.PNG (13kb) downloaded 46 time(s).
Capture_8thDay.PNG (4kb) downloaded 43 time(s).
Capture_ATP.PNG (3kb) downloaded 59 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try and register.
lance_jensen
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:02:00 PM(UTC)

OK, I see. I didn't realize I had to change the dates. I assumed that when it showed a graph for a week it would by default include all data for the week and not be dependent on something else that I had to change. I see how it works now, but having to change the date seems a little redundant.
browne
#6 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2010 9:18:00 AM(UTC)

Brad, Thanks for your response. However I did not want more functionality and I have no interest in a project to recreate what I had. For what it is worth I am now a former Training Peaks User.
Brad Culberson
#7 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2010 9:30:00 AM(UTC)

sorry to have lost you. most users wanted a more flexible/powerful/easier to use interface they could customize. every single person that used classic has that feeling that they wish it was the way it used to be... even i did and i was writing the new app. all i can say is the total number of subscribers has significantly grown in the last 6-12 months due entirely to the new interface. but its not for everyone, and there is a learning curve there (just like there was learning classic). for other classic users out there, i highly suggest you spend a little time in the settings.... we can't always guess right on what you want, but we tried to make enough options available to make anyone happy. good luck in your training! Brad
ronabramson
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2010 3:52:00 AM(UTC)

Me too. In the last couple of days this site seems to have taken a sharp downturn. Whatever was changed in the last couple of days has made it virtually impossible to enter nutrition, or even workout data. I have tried it from three machines, and three different browers, and all of them exhibit the same problems. The new inconsistently flashing "More Items" text the bottom of each cay in calendar view that is extremely distracting. In addition, something is grabbing the cursor and making it blink erratically as well. The site freezes my entire computer randomly. The panels and dropdowns (e.g., Library dropdown) don't open consistently, or are so slow to open you can't tell whether they are working. If you can get a panel to open, dragging something (e.g., a food item) onto your day in calendar view more often than not causes the window and/or entire computer to become unresponsive for up to 30 seconds, or lock up completely. I can't get into Spreadsheet view, period. For the moment, I have simply given up trying to enter data.
bmehrad
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:20:00 AM(UTC)

No offense, but it isn't worth the time to figure out your new site. The classic mode didn't look gorgeous but it was functional; the new version has added a huge amount of unnecessary phluff, in the process making it slow and hard to use. I've switched to using a database on my computer to log my runs; it is easy to use, it's free, and noone can mess it up. Hal, would you consider moving your operation to another site?
elizabeth99
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2010 10:36:00 AM(UTC)

I was also disappointed, the thing that makes the new interface unusable are the very small fonts in the Calendar View. All my clients say the same thing, and now I can't even send them back to classic. No, I'm the kind of person who always rebels against new software. I was an exclusive tester for Windows 7, and have worked with advanced software design in Fortune 100. But when something has gotten worse, it's simply worse--Windows Vista is a good example of this, though I spent six months trying to adjust. Are you really saying you are just going to have "we don't care" attitude about old users, hope the influx of new subscribers and mobile users will somehow keep anyone else form knowing how disappointed old users are? Eventually, this kind of stuff gets around, in reviews at running, cycling and triathlon magazines, the national governing bodies like USAT and USAC, with famous coaches in the sport, etc. At some point, you are going to have to make some changes. Why not make them now while you can still save subscribers? I think we all know what happens with software companies who allow excessive hubris to blind them to problems. Even Microsoft finally realized this with Windows Vista, and gave the old users back what they wanted in Windows 7. Could TrainingPeaks.com reach a similar realization and just fix the problems, instead of the excuse: "We have new users anyone, and the new version is not for everyone... and the sardonic response in your last message 'good luck with your training . . .' Like you were sayhing, "Good luck with that--we just don't care anymore."
Brad Culberson
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2010 11:28:00 AM(UTC)

we almost completely base new features on customer feedback. we cannot do anything about someone saying they are unwilling to spend the time on learning the new interface. the new interface was a necessity for us to last as a business. we had a lot more classic users leaving because we were unable to adapt to their needs in a flexible system than the number that liked it the way it was. the number of subscribers speaks, if classic would have been better, we would have been doing amazing with it, and we weren't. we brought complete feature parity and also added a tremendous amount of flexibility and power to the new interface. we allowed classic users over a year to try the new interface and get used to it gradually. during that time we listened very closely and make huge changes based on user feedback. there is still room for improvement, and we are listening. if you want us to make a better product, we need to hear what would make it better.... ex: tell us the fonts need to be larger. it doesn't help us to hear it all sucks and i'm leaving. Brad
cmc57
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2010 2:02:00 PM(UTC)

Quote:
we brought complete feature parity
I don't think this is true. There are numerous threads about features/functions that were popular in Classic and have been lost in 3.0. The Weekly Summary report is just one example. There was a similar report (without ATP totals) on the public view, but that was also lost when Classic was turned off.
CarolWhipple
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2010 2:05:00 PM(UTC)

Please bring back the Classic Mode - at least I had a choice when the new interface came on board. I cannot even access where I am to log my activity. This is not very user friendly.
Brad Culberson
#14 Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2010 2:38:00 PM(UTC)

cathy, turn on 8th day... you will have a weekly summary on the calendar on every week. if you want detailed reports/graphs set the dashboard to the week you are interested in. everything is in the new app and more, it may just take a little getting used to to find it all. there is a lot in there. the classic had the same learning curve. classic will not be "turned back on". we will be listening to customer feedback as we always have to make the new application easier to use and a better experience. Brad
lance_jensen
#15 Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2010 4:36:00 PM(UTC)

You speak of 'customer feedback' but seem to be ignoring all the complaints about the new TP. Personally, I still prefer classic, but since there isn't really another product that compares to TP that I know of, I forced myself to learn the new one. As someone who has honestly worked (yes, WORKED) to learn the new version, I have realized that it does have a steep learning curve. To learn it requires frequent Q&A on the forum. You can't learn it from the videos. After over a month of using it instead of classic, I'm still not 100% comfortable with it. I'd say I'm in the 75-85% range. As far as satisfaction goes, I already miss some of the features of classic but I do like some in the new version. Overall, I would say that I am sad to see classic go. If those features from classic were brought to the new one, I would be content. I have posted many times on the forum about those features, but the general response from TP has been either a non-response or "that's gone so just deal with it because our 'customers' don't want that." Aren't I a customer? Anyway...I still have a small amount of faith left that TP will eventually come around, but if it doesn't, I too won't be renewing my subscription.
charleskyle
#16 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2010 1:07:00 AM(UTC)

Brad, I am a veteran user like most and, like most, prefer the Classic Version. With that said, I do not have the luxury to move to a different site nor software so it is in my best interest to make a few recommendations because we are both in this for the long run. 1.) On the Forums, create a new group called "Feedback". Allow us a place to make recommendations and complaints. yes there is a forum entitled "Announcements and Updates" but this did not seem the place to post these types of questions. If that is where it is most appropriate then add "Announcements, Upgrades and Feedback", give us a place to complaint. 2.) Faster turn around of suggestions. I am big supporter of independent software developers and run MANY applications from them. The majority, at least the quality ones, update their software frequently. now I am not talking about the almost daily Apple iTunes updates that we all suffer through, I am talking about monthly of more frequent for the major ones. For instance, I have requested that %body water be added to the daily metrics. Now I am not sure how difficult that would be, but it does not seem like it should be. I don't know how many athletes use the daily altitude block or blood pressure, I am sure someone does, BUT a quick search in the Nutrition section of the forum so Coach Kattouf talking about it ALL the time. So I want to track it. Right now I place it in the Blood Pressure section, but since it does not us decimals, it changes it to 51 or 52, but that is still okay. I have been told that TP is "looking into adding a fully customizable daily metric pod" in the fall. Well that is fantastic, BUT how about %Body Water NOW. Is it really that hard? So I really have to wait til fall when TP is putting so much emphasis on nutrition? 3.) A much easier to use "help". I am okay with discovery learning but enough is enough. Okay, thanks for listening, I would be greatly appreciative if you could look into the above. v/r Chuck
gprosser
#17 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2010 1:57:00 AM(UTC)

I been using TP and have recomended it to several people over past 7 years. However having spent too much time trying to re locate the simple things that made the classic view such a pleasure to use. I have come to the simple conclusion. Its become over complicated.! Will give it one more try!
alainaneary
#18 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2010 3:28:00 AM(UTC)

I have been working very hard to adapt to the new TP for over a month now. This learning curve is ridiculously steep for people like me who do not train or coach for a living, and do not have the time to sit around and figure out the ins and outs of the new TP. I am serious about my training, but am extremely busy, and do not have the time to fiddle around with a new web page just to figure out how to upload a stupid powertap file, or fill in my swim times. It just should not be this difficult- I just don't see how this new setup makes anything better. Some little nitpicky things that annoy me on a day to day basis: 1. No matter what computer I use, it takes a full 30-45 seconds to load the page. Doesn't matter if I've visited before 2. After I log my workout for the day, I then have to go and click the 'month' view to go back and forth between days that aren't in consecutive order. Then, I have to click on the day to go into that log to make sure my log is up to date. In classic mode, you could just click on the calendar date at the top, so I didn't have to go back and view the whole week. It sounds silly, but every extra mouse click means I'm waiting for the page to load and is inconvenient to me, as the user. I don't want extra clicks. 3. I can no longer see my entire workout for the day without having to click. Again, more clicks means I am not happy, because in classic mode, I could just see the whole workout. 4. To go with #3- I have my calendar set up to view in month because the 'week' format puts all my workouts at midnight, or something, and I can't see them without scrolling. The day format only gives me that days workouts, without telling me the totals for the week, whereas classic mode had the box at the top to say what the plan total was for the week, and what was accumulating for each sport as the week progressed (now you can only see that when you have it in month format, unless I'm missing something. If I have to format it more, that is just really inconvenient for the user- why does it have to be so hard?!?) 5. I can't scroll down the screen on my laptop or with my regular mouse on the mac when it's in the day format. Again, that means a lot more work for me in order to enter more than 1 workout. It gets really annoying on a day to day basis. I am really trying to find the benefit of this new format, but it is just not obvious. Instead, I find myself completely dreading filling in my workouts, because it now takes at least twice as long to log it. You say you want feedback, so I'm giving it to you. Based on the previous responses, you'll probably just tell me that it's my fault- I just am not smart enough to figure out you're new system, or have not TRIED hard enough... and you don't care anyways, because there are more people on the site than ever before. Good, I hope that makes you happy.
Brad Culberson
#19 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2010 4:58:00 AM(UTC)

charles, we are on a monthly release schedule. you can see our update history here: http://support.trainingpeaks.com/whats-new.aspx for those going between the different views that like the monthly view, what isn't working with the quick view? you can click on the workout and see if it was logged or not. you can also customize the fields on the calendar to show actual time to see it w/o clicking.
cmc57
#20 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2010 10:46:00 AM(UTC)

Quote:
Brad Culberson - 2/21/2010 7:38 PM cathy, turn on 8th day... you will have a weekly summary on the calendar on every week. if you want detailed reports/graphs set the dashboard to the week you are interested in. everything is in the new app and more, it may just take a little getting used to to find it all. there is a lot in there. the classic had the same learning curve. classic will not be "turned back on". we will be listening to customer feedback as we always have to make the new application easier to use and a better experience. Brad
Brad, I've had the 8th day turned on as long as it has been available. It is not even comparable to the old Weekly Summary Report which had a table showing totals for the week, month, year and ATP. It was not very pretty, but VERY useful. Yes, this information can be extracted from the dashboard, but it would take at least 10 minutes every time a person wants to view it, instead of the few seconds it took to pull up the old summary. And because the date range on the dashboard applies to every pod, there is NO way to view all the data on a single page. Also the data is not in a simple to read table form it is in a tiny font overlaying multiple pie charts for time, distance, etc. This and other dropped features have been described in multiple threads already. I understand what a great thing this facelift is to TP's business model, but for customers who started with TP before the new version, instead of describing how we can hack together some semblance of the lost functionality, it would be helpful to have these lost features documented in one place with a projected timeline for implementation.
cmc57
#21 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2010 11:02:00 AM(UTC)

Quote:
Anonymous - 2/22/2010 8:28 AM 1. No matter what computer I use, it takes a full 30-45 seconds to load the page. Doesn't matter if I've visited before 2. After I log my workout for the day, I then have to go and click the 'month' view to go back and forth between days that aren't in consecutive order. Then, I have to click on the day to go into that log to make sure my log is up to date. In classic mode, you could just click on the calendar date at the top, so I didn't have to go back and view the whole week. It sounds silly, but every extra mouse click means I'm waiting for the page to load and is inconvenient to me, as the user. I don't want extra clicks. 3. I can no longer see my entire workout for the day without having to click. Again, more clicks means I am not happy, because in classic mode, I could just see the whole workout.
#1 - usually takes longer for me. #3 - I have to say, on my 30" monitor with 2560x1600 pixels, the new version is not too difficult to navigate. However when I use a 1024x768 (or smaller) resolution monitor, it is painful to enter and view workouts. I've often wondered during this process what screen resolution the TP developers are testing with and how that compares to the lowest common denominator resolution for TP users.
alainaneary
#22 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2010 2:02:00 PM(UTC)

Quote:
cathy - 2/22/2010 4:02 PM
Quote:
Anonymous - 2/22/2010 8:28 AM 1. No matter what computer I use, it takes a full 30-45 seconds to load the page. Doesn't matter if I've visited before 2. After I log my workout for the day, I then have to go and click the 'month' view to go back and forth between days that aren't in consecutive order. Then, I have to click on the day to go into that log to make sure my log is up to date. In classic mode, you could just click on the calendar date at the top, so I didn't have to go back and view the whole week. It sounds silly, but every extra mouse click means I'm waiting for the page to load and is inconvenient to me, as the user. I don't want extra clicks. 3. I can no longer see my entire workout for the day without having to click. Again, more clicks means I am not happy, because in classic mode, I could just see the whole workout.
#1 - usually takes longer for me. #3 - I have to say, on my 30" monitor with 2560x1600 pixels, the new version is not too difficult to navigate. However when I use a 1024x768 (or smaller) resolution monitor, it is painful to enter and view workouts. I've often wondered during this process what screen resolution the TP developers are testing with and how that compares to the lowest common denominator resolution for TP users.
#3- this is what a day in my 'month' looks like- I cannot view the main set of my workout without expanding the day, regardless of what computer screen size I'm using. I just want to see my workout for the day when I log onto to trainingpeaks- I don't want to expand the day, or hover over the day, or click to another screen to see what my main set is. Photobucket My general complaint is that everything takes a lot longer- uploading my workouts and navigating TP, even when I know what I'm doing- everything takes at least one more click (I hate more clicks :) ). It seems like the new interface adds more features for those that have time to play around with them, but to just quickly upload things, see what your workout is- or to see how you're doing for the week (in all 3 sports)- those features are more hidden, not obvious, or require extra navigation. I will use the 'day' feature embedded in the month view- that will help with a lot of my frustration, thanks for pointing it out!
deanf
#23 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 6:56:00 AM(UTC)

I have trained with TP for a long time and really liked the simplicity and functionality of the classic mode. I use heart rate based training while biking and I could print my daily workout that had my customized hr zones on the right hand side for easy reference while working out. While the new interface clearly has lots more data options the "pod" format does not allow me to get my workout and personalized hr zones on the same page when I print it. It shows up on my computer screen but when I print it it take 2 pages (versus 1/4 page in classic mode). It seems that TP needs to consider what a user needs as a reference while working out (workout, coaches comments and zone breakdown whether power or hr). I think you guys have erred on the side of data overload versus ease and simplicity. Food for thought. :(
simon corless
#24 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:44:00 AM(UTC)

I was one of Garrrie Prossers TP newbies 4 years ago, It was perfect for my training needs, ive been away from triathlon for 2 years and just subscribed back with TP, on the day classic was taken away. Gutted... I have to agree with Garrie, it seems far to complicated and not as user friendly as the Classic, (so far). wish me luck, I think i will need it..... Please could you explain about the 8th day i dont seem to be able to grasp this... Many thanks.....
bshotts
#25 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2010 6:14:00 AM(UTC)

For what's worth, I loved the classic interface as well. The new interface does have a learning curve but it's easily worth it. Much more flexible and robust in terms of how you can view your data and logging meals, etc. And they brought back color coding to the calendar which was a feature of the classic site.
skibum18
#26 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2010 12:37:00 PM(UTC)

I like the classic version better. I have spent time learning the new version. The one thing I realy miss is the graphs for the weekly totals. I could see total distance or time per week for each workout cat. I am a basic member. Is there a way I can see a graph of the weekly totals.
skibum18
#27 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2010 3:07:00 AM(UTC)

I like the classic version better. I have spent time learning the new version. The one thing I realy miss is the graphs for the weekly totals. I could see total distance or time per week for each workout cat. I am a basic member. Is there a way I can see a graph of the weekly totals.
elizabethann
#28 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2010 5:17:00 AM(UTC)

Hi Mitchell, There are several pods available on the Dashboard tab for viewing weekly training summary data, such as the fitness summary pod, which shows a breakdown of workout duration by type for any time period (change the time period with the little calendar icons at the top of the Dashboard). More pods such as training duration by week and longest workout per week in both distance and time are available if you choose to upgrade your account to a premium subscription. Let us know if you have any further questions at www.trainingpeaks.com/support, and happy training!
Thanks!

Elizabeth Hartman
Customer Support
Peaksware, LLC

Want to contact me? Please contact me here instead of Private Messaging me:
http://www.trainingpeaks.com/support/

Subscribe to the TrainingPeaks Blog to stay current on news and announcements:
http://blog.trainingpeaks.com/