Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please create a TrainingPeaks account or login. Once logged in, return to the forum by clicking "Forums" at the top right of your account.
critical power chart
mayday4scott
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2010 11:14:00 AM(UTC)

I am in the process of becoming familiar with the new TP and I am using VC as well. VC often calls out critical power numbers in the training plan, but in the new version of TP I do not see a report drop down to check my CP numbers. How do I do that in the new TP. Thanks, Scott
lance_jensen
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2010 3:13:00 PM(UTC)

Scott, As far as I know, that function doesn't exist in the new version. As to why not, I don't really understand. Allow me to take this opportunity to vent: I really love using TP, but the new version is so full of holes and, overall, is difficult to navigate. Maybe I'm just too dumb, but I much perfer using the classic version. I've sat down and committed myself to learning the new version because it has some interesting features that are supposed to be user-friendly, but find myself going back to the classic version because there's continually something I can't do or data I can't quickly access in the new version. Very dissapointing and frustrating...
gear
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 06, 2010 1:54:00 AM(UTC)

Scott, on the dashboard there is a Pod called "Mean Max Power".. mean max is a more generic term for what Joe Friel calls "critical power". That pod will show you all your cp values over time, you can even set a comparison between two date ranges to view your changes and progress over time, for exmaple, compare your CP values from winter to summer. On each individual workout, when you view the Workout Details, there are several power related pods, and on the Graph, it automatically shows you all your CP values. Again, the term "CP (critical power) and Mean Max" are interchangable. Tons of CP graphs and pods already exist. To see the available pods for the Dashboard or for a single workout's Detailed View, go to the view, then click "View, Change Pod Layout" and you'll get the available pods library, then drag on the pod you want and you can customize it from there.
gear
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 06, 2010 1:55:00 AM(UTC)

Lance, See my post above... the frustrating thing with the new system, after you've used the old one is simply "I want it to work like the old one".. well, it doesn't. you have to learn new conventions and ways to discover the various features. Hopefully the previous post helps specifically on the power pods.
mayday4scott
#5 Posted : Friday, January 08, 2010 4:52:00 AM(UTC)

Thanks Gary.........I've played around with that pod and found that I can change the options in MMP so that I can get a CP to complete my VC workouts.... Appreciate your response.
mayday4scott
#6 Posted : Friday, January 08, 2010 4:53:00 AM(UTC)

Sorry Gear.
fjferrari
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 09, 2010 9:58:00 AM(UTC)

Is there anyway to see a running weekly total, or a reports list like the older version? I just want to see my data without having to click all over the place.
gear
#8 Posted : Monday, January 11, 2010 3:22:00 AM(UTC)

Site update by end of this week will show a "report" version (tabular data) of the CP pod.
edchall
#9 Posted : Monday, February 08, 2010 6:36:00 AM(UTC)

"well, it doesn't. you have to learn new conventions and ways" seems to summerize your whole attitude about what your 'old' customers want ed 3x purchaser of plans 3 or 4 year subscriber (no longer)
lance_jensen
#10 Posted : Monday, February 08, 2010 9:59:00 AM(UTC)

Gear, That's precisely what I've been waiting for. Has that "report" version been made available? I can't seem to locate it. Thanks Lance
Charles Beeler
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 09, 2010 7:43:00 PM(UTC)

One of the cool features of the old version that is not (yet) available in the new version is the ability to set goals for the critical power (Friel) and peak power (Coggan) and track these goals against actual workouts (lifetime bests and last 30 day bests). It has been incredibly helpful to have these goals laid out and to be able to then do specific workouts focused on certain cp time lengths and compare against the goals over time - below is the link I am referring to (in classic mode). It would be a bummer to see all of this go away - seems like it would not be too tough to have a pod like this that allows you to maintain the same data that has already been input (in my case starting 3+ years ago). PLEASE tell me this is coming soon....... https://www.trainingpeaks.com/ultrafit/zones.asp
gear
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:36:00 AM(UTC)

Lance, just hit the Options button on the Mean Max pod and change it to the tabular view
gear
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:38:00 AM(UTC)

This won't be there next week, but we will be doing a lot of Power updates and I am planning to roll it out with those, including: re-architecting power zones to work like TP.com HR zones (historical memory), TSS/IF/NP, Performance manager chart (with predictive capability), date-driven goal CP's (like classic).
gear
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:39:00 AM(UTC)

Sorry Ed, we have to move forward. Our sales were declining, we were losing more potential customer's than gaining. I'm really sorry you don't feel the new system is worth it.
lance_jensen
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:31:00 AM(UTC)

Quote:
Gear Fisher - 2/10/2010 5:36 AM Lance, just hit the Options button on the Mean Max pod and change it to the tabular view
Gear, I see nothing that says "tabular view." When accessing the mean max pod from the dashboard, there is a "grid view." Is that what you are referring to? Lance
acoggan
#16 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 7:50:00 AM(UTC)

Quote:
we will be doing a lot of Power updates and I am planning to roll it out with those, including: ...TSS/IF/NP, Performance manager chart...
Oh goody - that will certainly help pay for my kids' college education! ;)
support
#17 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:31:00 PM(UTC)

There is a short how to video here that might help clarify the use of this pod:
http://home.trainingpeak.../mean-max-power-pod.aspx
Thanks!

Matt Allen
Customer Support
Peaksware, LLC

Want to contact me? Please contact me here instead of Private Messaging me:
http://www.trainingpeaks.com/support/

Subscribe to the TrainingPeaks Blog to stay current on news and announcements:
http://blog.trainingpeaks.com/
Charles Beeler
#18 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:02:00 PM(UTC)

Thanks for letting me know on this. Are the current goals going to be saved our should we be copying these down until the new app has this capability?? New version is getting better and I can absolutely see how it will be better than the old version eventually. Pods approach is a good one but obviously lots to do still.
support
#19 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2010 4:55:00 AM(UTC)

Charles,

Sorry, but no, the classic mode CP report manually entered 'goals' field has not equivalent in the new interface.  For now, I recommend copying these down.
Thanks!

Matt Allen
Customer Support
Peaksware, LLC

rasabo
#20 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2010 12:03:00 PM(UTC)

I also am very frustrated with the NEW TP. I figured out how to get my CP20 change to coggins, but how do I know my avg HR during those 20 min.? This was How I would do my testing using the BEST function.
andismith
#21 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2010 2:23:00 AM(UTC)

To add pods, I see the instructions: To see the available pods for the Dashboard or for a single workout's Detailed View, go to the view, then click "View, Change Pod Layout" and you'll get the available pods library, then drag on the pod you want and you can customize it from there. However, unfortunately, when I drag any of the pods that I want over (specifically, related to power), they do not drop. I'm paying for the required subscription, and this is not working. Anything I'm doing wrong? Tips? How do I make these pods available? Thanks!
support
#22 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2010 5:33:00 AM(UTC)

Robert,

To see your HR during your CP20, go to the Detailed View for the workout in question, open the Graph, click on the 20min Bests for power in the left hand panel of the Graph.  You will then see the Summary box of the Graph update to show the summary for those 20mins.
Thanks!

Matt Allen
Customer Support
Peaksware, LLC

support
#23 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2010 5:35:00 AM(UTC)

Andrea,

Please note that only Dashboard Pods can be viewed on the Dashboard, and only Workout Pods can be viewed on the Workout Detailed view.  To see which pods are available for which section of your account, please see:
http://support.trainingp...rsonal-edition/pods.aspx
Thanks!

Matt Allen
Customer Support
Peaksware, LLC

SlowPoke2320
#24 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2010 1:40:00 AM(UTC)

Just to catch up, what is the official name for what Charles Beeler described, if and when it becomes available? I like being able to see my lifetime and last 30 days bests for both Friel and Coggan in one easy to read page.
gtclarke
#25 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2010 4:34:00 PM(UTC)

I too am missing that Coggan "bests" report. It was a great feature in the Classic mode. What is the ETA for the new equivalent and how do we access our old data in the meantime? Thanks.
Brad Culberson
#26 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2010 7:01:00 PM(UTC)

there are already pods for Mean Max power both on dashboard and work workouts, you just have to drag them out to configure them. Brad
Charles Beeler
#27 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2010 8:37:00 PM(UTC)

Brad: The Mean-Max is available and you can use the pod to compare against your best results, but having it in a data format where you can actually look at the numbers instead of having to scroll across a chart would be preferred (at least as an option), but more importantly the new format does not enable a user to enter in goals for the various Coggan/Friel measurement points, which I think is the thing people are asking about (I know I am). I dutifully copied these to Excel until you guys have the goal stuff up again.