Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please create a TrainingPeaks account or login. Once logged in, return to the forum by clicking "Forums" at the top right of your account.
leg cramps while swimming
gillclark
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 03, 2011 11:09:24 PM(UTC)

Hi

Currently training for half iron man after many health issues. I seem to now be getting calf crmps in one leg in long hard swim sessions. Usually able to continue to swim while bending toes to shin and lose kick on that leg for a couple of strokes. but last night had to stop to stretch it out. Reason for nutrition question is I believe cramps more related to electrolyte imbalances than other causes. I absoulutely cannot eat bananas - hate smell texture and taste - monkey food yuk. I eat apples and assorted berries in season daily a t least 2 servings fresh fruit daily and lots of veges and salad stuff. Drink at least 2 l water daily and make homemade muesli bars for snacks - lots of oats, seeds mixed dried fruit nuts.I take magnesium and fish oil as only other dietary supplements. What else can i try to help improve this. I am pretty flexible - do yoga and pilates and am rigorous about stretching as learnt my lesson in the past- also back surgery has forced me to pay attention to receovery/prevention.

Any ideas on what may help this??
rkattouf
#2 Posted : Monday, November 07, 2011 2:20:41 PM(UTC)

Hello gillclark, thank you for your question.

When it comes to muscle cramps, you will want to monitor a number of factors:
1- use a body composition scale to monitor your body water%; this will keep you on top of your hydration levels
2- use the scale to monitor body weight loss post workout
3- everyday nutrition is key; we want to be sure we are fueling and refueling the body properly (is our eating frequency, nutrient timing, macro nutrient balance, pre/post training fuel and caloric intake matching our training)
4- as you said, electrolytes play a big role; focus on the 'Big 4' (sodium, potassium, magnesium & calcium)
5- and as always, if necessary, always rule out any medical issue that can result in lower leg cramps

Best of luck!
Dr. Rick Kattouf II
TeamKattouf Nutrition Supplements, http://www.amazon.com/s/...kattouf&x=0&y=0
Host of Rx Nutrition, http://teamkattouf.com/rxnutrition.html
http://www.teamkattouf.com
rick@rickkattouf.com
866-966-1422
Follow Coach Kattouf and TeamKattouf Coaching on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and LinkedIn
Trek_Racer
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 17, 2011 9:10:56 PM(UTC)

Is the pool very cold?
Can be an issue.
Not much to do about that ............
S>B>R>Repeat
HTFU

TrainingPeaks Premier 3.0.2
gillclark
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:16:02 PM(UTC)

Hi

Thanks for feedback, water not cold as out of wetsuit which i use till water reaches 26 centigrade (i am a wimp)I have had a few major health issues and had surgery on by back last year to allow me to walk properly again (severe disc prolapse) and it is the bad side that got cramps. I have been careful to not point my toes too much which has helped not so much cramping lately and water much wwarmer around 30 degrees now yay!hopefully will stay that way as i get fitter and stronger and then prove the nay sayers that i can do it!