Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please create a TrainingPeaks account or login. Once logged in, return to the forum by clicking "Forums" at the top right of your account.
Post Exercise Fat Loss
mikerw
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2011 7:29:06 PM(UTC)

Any thoughts on the following...

For those of us who train with power meters we have a pretty accurate idea of the number of KJ expended during a ride. This was a typical weekend with two rides each of over 3,500 KJ. There is no way my on the bike fueling plus eating during the day is remotely close to what I burned. So assume I ran a 3,500 net deficit over the weekend, and we know you have to have a 3,500 calorie deficit to lose a pound of fat. Why don't long weekend rides net to fat loss?

I have discussed this with my riding friends and they all observe the same thing.
rkattouf
#2 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2011 10:40:38 AM(UTC)

Hello mikerw, thank you for the question.

No doubt, power meters give us some very valuable kj data, but, when it comes to losing body fat and weight, it is much more in depth. I will use the word 'calorie' in place of 'kj' simply for ease of use since most readers will be more familiar with calories as compared to kj. As I discuss in Rx Nutrition, "If it were as easy as calories in versus calories out...it would be that easy." Losing weight and body fat is just not as simple as keeping a calorie deficit. There are numerous athletes training for long endurance events (70.3, Ironman, century rides/races, marathon, etc.); and, many of these athletes are keeping a calorie deficit...and, they are noticing no change in body composition. Some of these individuals are actually experiencing weight gain and BF% increase during their highest training volume (Listen to my "Avoid The Endurance 15" podcast on Blog Talk Radio via TeamKattouf Coaching).

Losing weight and body fat requires many pieces of the puzzle to all be properly placed. Sure, calories are important, but not the most important. When it comes to calories, we have to consider all of the areas we burn calories in a day (BMR[Basal Metabolic Rate], ADL's[activities of daily living], TEF[thermic Effect of Food], exercise/training). One of the most important numbers is our BF%, as this will give us an accurate BMR.

In addition to fueling the body with the proper amount of fuel, there are 4 other factors that are even more important (the proper eating frequency, the proper timing of our meals/snacks, the proper balance at every meal & snack of carbohydrates/protein/fat and the proper amount of sleep).

As not to create too long a post, I will stop here with the above clif notes version. In summary, if we desire body composition change, we must look far beyond "calories in versus calories out." This is a huge part of my discussion where I explain that there is a difference between eating healthy and 'eating Right.' Eating healthy is not the key to success...Eating Right is the key.

Best of luck!

Sincerely,
Dr. Rick Kattouf II
TeamKattouf Nutrition Supplements, http://www.amazon.com/s/...kattouf&x=0&y=0
Host of Rx Nutrition, http://teamkattouf.com/rxnutrition.html
http://www.teamkattouf.com
rick@rickkattouf.com
866-966-1422
Follow Coach Kattouf and TeamKattouf Coaching on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and LinkedIn
mikerw
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:18:59 AM(UTC)

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your, as always, thoughtful reply.

I guess I am still hung up on the question of energy balance. If one produces a two-day net calories deficit of 3,500 kCal it has to come from somewhere. The literature is reasonably clear on the bodies priorities in providing energy based on the level of effort (what fuel type it uses). So if a massive deficit is created why doesn't it result in mass loss?

I agree the objective is body composition not just absolute weight and that the true training objective is watts/KG. So if one eats right, as you say, and through the demand side runs a deficit it has to come from somewhere.

Mike