Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please create a TrainingPeaks account or login. Once logged in, return to the forum by clicking "Forums" at the top right of your account.
Schwinn MPower Console 2 - Help Using USB key to acquire data
gctseng
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:25:51 PM(UTC)

I've been trying to figure out the steps to get the MPower Console 2 at Equinox to write to my USB key. So far, I haven't been successful. I've checked online, and the user manual at Schwinn is not helpful. Even called Schwinn and the customer service told me that they had to have a technician call me back (it's been almost a day and no call)--I don't think they've figured it out.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or just list the steps of what to do? I checked that the USB setting is "ON", but when should I insert the key? Before calibration or after? Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks in advance.
gctseng
#2 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 4:23:37 PM(UTC)

Replying to my own question/post in case others have the same question in the future.

I've experimented with the USB feature off and on for the last few months. I've tried it with the older version and as the gym recently upgraded to the latest MPower console, and they both work similarly.

The USB key may be plugged in at anytime (I usually do it before I start the calibration process). The key (excuse the pun) is in the removal, in that one should power down the MPower console all the way before taking the key out--otherwise you may end up with a damaged file system (i.e., files may be lost). Basically, here's what I do at the end of workout:

1. "Flush" the MPower by hitting the stage button, while I'm still on the bike. This causes the MPower to write out everything.
2. Stop peddling and get off the bike so nothing is moving.
3. Power off the MPower by holding down the "End" button until the screen turns off--you may have to press it a couple of times if it doesn't shut off after 10 seconds as the MPower seems like it wants you to see the Average and Maximum values before it finally shuts off.
4. Pull key out.

The MPower stores heart rate as I use a standard Polar HRM strap, and even though I don't thoroughly analyze the data, it's good that I can directly upload the CSV file to trainingpeaks.com and know what days I worked out.

BTW, the files are NOT dated because there is no clock on the MPower--as in don't expect the files to have the correct creation nor modification date. The files are just named "MPOWERX.csv", where the X is the next number that is available if there are existing MPower files (e.g., MPower3.csv will be created if there is an MPower1.csv and MPower2.csv, even if there is an MPower4.csv.