Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please create a TrainingPeaks account or login. Once logged in, return to the forum by clicking "Forums" at the top right of your account.
Compression Shorts
barrygarner
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 3:39:00 AM(UTC)

Are compression shorts designed to be worn alone or with a layer underneath?
halhigdon
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:52:00 AM(UTC)

I have some thigh-length tights made of bamboo, believe it or not, that I bought at the Gate River Run Expo. I used them mostly for swimming and working out in the gym while we were down in Florida. They faded somewhat because of chemicals in the pool, but I liked them so much I bought a second pair from the same outfit at the Boston Marathon Expo.

Don't tell any of the female V-Teamers, but I use them without a second layer underneath. It eliminates VPL: Visible Panty Line.

Dave-O
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:57:00 AM(UTC)

I think there's actually two different designs, one for each. I know with Nike, they sell "base layer" spandex shorts and then different "half tights" that are meant to be the main layer. I've been wearing half tights for some speedworks (only because they were in our team deal this year) with base layer spandex underneath. I hope that makes sense.
"Stress, recover, improve, that's all training is. You'd think any damn fool could do it."

Ken Mello
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:58:00 AM(UTC)

Quote:
Barry Garner - 5/18/2011 9:39 AMAre compression shorts designed to be worn alone or with a layer underneath?

Underneath?  If anything, I wear compression shorts UNDER some regular running shorts.  Or alone, if I'm running in the dark at 4am and not worried about "presentation."

Liz R
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:30:00 AM(UTC)

It depends. Where are the seams?
Liz R
sigosix
#6 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2011 12:52:00 AM(UTC)

It depends... I'm on a NATO base and my American male colleagues joke saying I should wear shorts over them. The female colleagues say their fine as they are on me. When I told a Hungarian colleague I was going to wear shorts over the compressions shorts they gasped... informing me only the women do that in their country:-) A.