Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please create a TrainingPeaks account or login. Once logged in, return to the forum by clicking "Forums" at the top right of your account.
Gels and stomach upset
alaninnont
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 3:16:00 PM(UTC)

I'm experimenting with different gels. They all seem to have the same kind of boost but my stomach handles some of them better than others. I am interested to see if this is the same for others or do different gels react with different people. So, which gel brand is the least upsetting for your stomach?
Mark B
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 3:32:00 PM(UTC)

Quote:
alaninnont - 8/14/2008 6:16 PMI'm experimenting with different gels. They all seem to have the same kind of boost but my stomach handles some of them better than others. I am interested to see if this is the same for others or do different gels react with different people. So, which gel brand is the least upsetting for your stomach?

Better, perhaps to ask what types of gels CAUSED problems?

I've had no problems with a variety of GU, HammerGel and PowerBar Gels (strawberry banana and vanilla usually set well)... but I can't stomach a Clif shot to save my life.
Mark B

Martin VW
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:17:00 PM(UTC)

Generally, a gel with less sugar should be less upsetting to yuour stomach.

For me, it wouldn't matter. I have a cast iron stomach. 

Martin VW
scottkalina
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:42:00 PM(UTC)

Never had a problem with any. I don't use them much, only in marathons and when running 18+ miles.
There is really no such thing as an easy 100 mile race - Gary Wang
sykutam
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 6:17:00 PM(UTC)

I have only tried Cliff Shots, GU and PowerBar gels.  None of them gave me stomach troubles, but I much prefer the texture and taste of the GU gels (vanilla bean especially) in the middle of a long run.
Mike

"Failure is succeeding at something that doesn't matter."
verylazy
#6 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 12:22:00 AM(UTC)

I can't stand the Clif Shot gels, they consistency just does not work for me and I find they have a funny aftertaste I use the GU gels, the vanilla bean is my flavor of choice.
Nothing to interesting to read here...
Jim Lentz
#7 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 2:40:00 AM(UTC)

I like the thin consistency of the Hammer Gels, but I prefer to use Shot Blocks.
Rhondda H
#8 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 3:01:00 AM(UTC)

Cast iron stomach here too (triple knock wood). The only thing that has bothered me on a run was the dang baby ruth someone handed me and I tried to eat around mile 23 of Chicago last year after 5 hours of diasppointment run/walking in 89 degree temperatures. It looked worse on the ground then it tasted in my mouth after I spit it out.  I have recently converted to shot blocks because I can't get the dang gel packets open quickly.

ltcull
#9 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 3:57:00 AM(UTC)

I have just recently started using GU on my long runs. I use the ones with caffeine. So far (knock on wood) they have not done anything to my stomache. The only other one I have tried was the PowerGel and it sat heavy. I'm using Orange Burst and Berry. I would find the first one that works and stick with it.
mmax
#10 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 4:43:00 AM(UTC)

My stomach like better the new Gu Roctane...But I hate the taste!
timberbash
#11 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 5:18:00 AM(UTC)

For me, it's partly a function of flavor. I mostly use the Powerbar Gels. I used Chocolate in my first marathon, and by the fourth gel (so late in the race), it really grossed me out. For subsequent marathons, I switched to Vanilla (still in Powerbar Gel) , and I haven't had any problems. Certain flavors of other gels that I have tried in training have also grossed me out. Clifshot Strawberry is one that I remember particularly messing with my stomach.
ejsmiller
#12 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 6:24:00 AM(UTC)

Quote:
Mark B - 8/14/2008 9:32 PM
Better, perhaps to ask what types of gels CAUSED problems?

I've had no problems with a variety of GU, HammerGel and PowerBar Gels (strawberry banana and vanilla usually set well)... but I can't stomach a Clif shot to save my life.

I've had the opposite experience - GU and PowerBar Gels nauseate me, but Clif shots are fine.  I actually like CarbBoom best.

Ellen
NoVaRunner
#13 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 9:42:00 AM(UTC)

Hammer seems easiest on the stomach, but ick! I am generally good with Gu.
Hal Higdon
#14 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2008 10:39:00 AM(UTC)

I just added that everybody is different.
HAL HIGDON
Contributing Editor: Runner's World
Author: 4:09:43: Boston 2013 Through the Eyes of the Runners
Kelly419
#15 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 9:20:00 AM(UTC)

I can honestly stay that the ONLY gel product I can tolerate is the GU in Chocolate flavor. For me the key is something without huges amounts of extra caffeine (like the 2X) and a flavor and consistency I can actually get down. GU chocolate is pretty much it.
Ounce
#16 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2008 7:06:00 AM(UTC)

Fig Newtons. oz
Oz
"Running for mediocrity since 2003"